Evil Experiments - Hammond Paper in Oil Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Evil Experiemnts - Hammond Paper in Oil Caps

OK, so the Sunday paper was kind of thin and uninteresting, so the rest of the morning was devoted to experimentation.

Here's what happens when you take a can opener (regular kitchen type worked admirably well :) ) to the nice welded lip of a Hammond PIO cap from an HR-1 organ amp.

The cap on the picture is a two-section A0-16834, 6uF each.

WARNING/DISCLAIMER:
Do not try this at home. Oil filled caps may contain PCBs which are highly carcinogenic. Do not handle with bare hands or let the oil come in contact with the skin. Afterwards, the oil, cap, and waste products must be properly disposed in an enviromentally safe way.

Attachments

• cimg1284.jpg
    cimg1284.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 723
May I ask what the project is going to be..? I see some extremelly nice parts & looks to be UX-4 sockets for some & heck just alot of nice parts..? What are the OT's that are upside down in pic, they look just like my Hashimoto's, ..? Lots of iron in this build & real PIO, should be nice outcome .
J & G

JandG said:
May I ask what the project is going to be..? I see some extremelly nice parts & looks to be UX-4 sockets for some & heck just alot of nice parts..? What are the OT's that are upside down in pic, they look just like my Hashimoto's, ..? Lots of iron in this build & real PIO, should be nice outcome .
J & G

The amp is really a test chassis for the tubes in the attached picture. From L to R:

42, UX245, C347, RCA Radiotron 10 (dated 1939), 10Y, and VT-25A longplate.

Attachments

• test_tubes.jpg
    test_tubes.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 258
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.