THE non-magnetic parts list

I'd like to have a non-magnetic parts list here on the forum, as this seems to be a 'item of concern' for the more aware of us, when it comes to sonic quality-at it's finest. I ended up thinking about making such a thread that was and is -specific-, due to having little in the way of a specific thread on the forum! After an hour of searching, I decided that frustration would be the norm, and to attempt to remove that aspect for the next guy who does the same search. I mention dates on some parts,as things might change on the more expensive stuff which is low volume and is built specifically for it's sonic qualities. For example, on the later mentioned Teflon tube sockets that are $25 each - they might get wise and make a change. You see, the parts are supposed to be OFC and 24k gold plated--and that's it. But testing is showing that a bit of magnetic material is in there.....

Whatever the item series of devices, if you know it is non-magnetic, be it resistor, capacitor, transistor (yes-possible!) or whatever (sockets, switches, and potentiometers), please add to the list.

Please report in the given item it if IS magnetic as well, to help remove doubt, or doubt would abound-if the given specific item was not mentioned here. Also, some parts like resistors can be 'slightly less' magnetic than others, so might serve well, when it comes to being a second choice.

I was specifically searching for non-magnetic electrolytic capacitors.

So far, I've come across..in my pile'o'stuff......:

Rubycon 'Black Gate' electrolytics: Non-Magnetic

Elna Cera-Fine Electrolytics: Non-Magnetic

Elna SilMic Electrolytics: Non-Magnetic

Sanyo Os-Con Capacitors: Non-Magnetic (purple skinned)

Sprague 'Os-Con' capacitors: MAGNETIC! (Older series-blue skinned)

Most (near 100%-I mean, tell me if there is one series that isn't!) of all Panasonic Electrolytics: MAGNETIC

Most all series of Nichicon Electrolytics: MAGNETIC

Most all series of United Chemicon Electrolytics: MAGNETIC

'LittleFuse' ceramic bodied pigtail fuses: Non-magnetic

'Connex' teflon sockets at 'the parts connexion': the mini-9 pin sockets components (the metal bits) are VERY mildly magnetic. (tested 7/20/2008, a 7/26/2006 purchase)

Vampire Wire OFC Female inside mount RCA jacks: Mildly magnetic

Xhadow OFC speaker spades: Mildly Magnetic

ETI (Eichmann) Male RCA jacks: Non-Magnetic

WBT Next-Gen Male RCA Jacks: Non-Magnetic, except the outer metal ring out back---which is mildly magnetic

Electrocube 5MP12 polypropylene series capacitors: Non-Magnetic

Russian Polystyrol K-71 series film capacitors: Non-Magnetic

Mildly magnetic? What does that mean?

Guys, every metal is magnetic in some form. With 'magnetic' you mean ferromagnetism, the strongest magnetism. But there's also para- and diamagnetism, present in _every_ chemical element.

Have fun, Hannes

Metal end caps- therefore: Magnetic

Oh no! Not every metal is ferromagnetic, e.g. aluminium isn't as isn't copper.

@ Geek: RoHS is the least of our concerns... sonic results rule, and magnetic parts really don't help here.

Evox-Rifa foil caps (eg. SMR-series): RM5 outline all magnetic, all other outlines nonmagnetic
Dale resistors available from Schuro: nonmagnetic
Beyschlag resistors (both 0207 and 0204): magnetic
Wima caps: older series (partially) nonmagnetic, current ones all magnetic

TB

Guys, remember that almost all active devices use ferromagnetic alloys for the leads - often an alloy called Kovar, which is Fe:54, Ni:29, Co:17 .

This is certainly the case for valves and most metal case semiconductors. The reason why it is done is to give a robust hermetic seal in the glass to metal seal; the change in thermal expansion of the glass at its softening point is matched to change in expansion of the alloy at the Curie temperature.

When you try to evaluate the size of the effect of the magnetic materials, they come out really small. There are two types of possible effect - nonlinear inductance, and magneto-resistance. As far as I can tell, the magneto-resistance effects are tiny for this class of alloy. Nonlinear inductance is harder to generalise about, but the effects will be very small in most geometries, as the magnetic circuits are dominated by much larger regions of open air.

I welcome example calculations showing how a significant effect can arise.

I hear the difference, therefore the list. There will be folks here...and well... there are folks here who believe that wire does not make a difference. I would expect that this is not the thread for them. :)

If you disagree that I (we) can hear the difference....then the list can provide the evidence trail for attempts to replicate or understand the phenomenon.

Let us not pollute the thread with debate, simply provide what you know, for those of us who search for information on ferromagnetics in given specific parts.

My testing is simple enough, a given component has a strong neo magnet passed over it. It either reacts--or it does not. Either strongly, or minutely.

This list will provide folks an avenue to find some parts to make a given whole piece of gear with as non ferrous a parts count as is possible.

THEN assess the sonics.

I submit you will be surprised.

KBK said:

I submit you will be surprised.

I am. And after all the handling of magnets my blood pressure seems to be spiking up. Or maybe it's just the surprise and disappointment.

Turns out all my transformers, even the expensive Audio Notes are magnetic! And so are the Audio Note resistors!

This explains why everything i make sucks. Especially the stuff with signal transformers. I still haven't got around to testing the cartridges (still looking for a really strong magnet) but already have a bad feeling.

No wonder field coil speakers have such a following - they avoid the poison from common driver design.

Maybe I can help here. From the times of analog cassette players I still have a demagnetizer. Since I don't belong to
the more aware of us
I don't have any further use for it.

You could buy 'cheap' magnetic components, demagnetize them and get your fantastic unmagnetic sound at a bargain price. Considering how much money you can save on components, I would sell it to you at 380 €, which translates to around 600 Can$ at today's exchange rate.

The drawbacks are that you have to use it repeatedly and that it produces an electro-magnetic field of its own, so you cannot use it, while listening to your stereo.

On the other hand I bought it in the late 70s. You would get a real vintage component. So, hurry, it might be gone any moment now.

I would even send you a dozen non-magnetic Vishay-Dale CMF-55-143 resistors of your choice together with the demagnetizer for free. They cost as much per piece as 110 'normal' resistors, but they must be worth every single cent of it for
the more aware of us

Ok, this is beginning to turn sour. Being a keen subjectivist i'll add at least some contribution to the nonmagnetic parts list.

Russian paper on oil K40Y-9. Magnetic bodies but great sound.

Russian teflons FT-3. Entirely non-magnetic. Still far from the 60 day recommended break in but the sound is not promising at all. Maybe i like magnetic parts after all.

Here we go again!

Probably some 35+ yrs spent in carefully carried-out listening trials on all electronic components, including actives and passives, counts for nothing.
However, I fall into much the same camp as KBK and my achievements have encouraged some audio manufacturers to pay me for my thoughts/experiences in this connection.

If you don't agree with the spirit of this thread why not stay out of it as the usual petty ridiculing doesn't say much for your attitude towards others, nor to life in general.

You must enjoy the inner-satisfaction of knowing that you are absolutely right in your views, anyway, so why waste your time interfering with others who wish to share their experiences in this manner?

Regards, :)

Bobken said:
Here we go again!

Not really. I don't argue that steel end cap resistors do sound different. But is it because of the magnetic properties? I have noticed much larger differences between resistors with same type end caps. And really, what about transformers or cartridges?

Surely, the smallest signals in audio, those generated in low output moving coils should be the most sensitive to such effects.

Should the cartridge generator and step-up transformer have less magnetic influence than the loading resistor's end caps?

Hi analog_sa,

I wasn't referring to your comments when I posted earlier.

We have been 'on the same side' when discussing subjective effects before, as I well recall, and no offence nor criticism of you was intended here, I can assure you.

Indeed I intended no offence to anyone, but we saw the start of some of the 'regular' ridiculing comments which (almost) always surface in relation to any subjectively-based discussions on this Forum.

If that trend continues it will inevitably destroy this thread and that would be a sad situation to see going unchecked, so I merely wished and hoped to assist KBK in his efforts.

Right now I don't have much time to expand on it but I have mentioned my own initial 'discovery' relating to the 'sounds' of components and the background on this Forum before, in considerable detail.

My original and extremely surprising 'discovery' over 35 yrs ago that not all passive components 'sound' the same was precisely in this area you refer to. It was in an MC head-amp, and I changed a couple of (low pF value) caps at the input in order to deal with some unwanted RF breakthrough.

The sonic changes when going from ceramics to polystyrenes in this instance were quite extraordinary, and this had nothing to do with the unwanted RF problem. It has always been my contention that tiny microvolt signals being amplified up many thousandfold to the voltages required to drive speakers would exaggerate these 'sonic differences', and that was the main reason why I had noticed this unbelievable (to me!) effect.
Without that entirely unexpected 'revelation', I would probably be still relying solely on instruments and measurements in my quest for audio nirvana, and my results would have been much the worse if that had been the case!

Regards,

Given time, I can come up with a list of non-magnetic components because I actively avoid all 'magnetic' types unless this is impossible, for good audible reasons.

As you have seen, regrettably many connectors are 'partially' magnetic, usually as a result of them being plated with nickel underneath the fashionable gold overlay. Nickel is magnetic, of course, and that is why it is used in Alnico magnets.

From just what I have around me on the bench, all are non-magnetic, naturally.

Caddock TF020 resistors.
" MK32 "
All Vishay bulk-foil resistors.
PRP resistors.
Riken Ohm resistors.
Rel-Cap 'RT' & 'TRT' series Caps.
MIT Multicaps. (RTX, PPFX, PPFXS, PPMFX)
Infinicaps.
Wondercaps.
LCR 'EXFS' caps.
Sufflex SUF710 caps.
Rubicon 125S2R caps.
TAB Silver Micas.