THE non-magnetic parts list

Rubycon HZ series of capacitors. Only go up to 16VDC, but that is enough for for most op-amp based circuits.

Designed for motherboard use in PCs and whatnot.

However, some say they are good for audio use, with their OFC leads and insane ESR/ripple current ratings. I've no idea myself, i just bought some and I'm going to put that to the test. I've read some bits that seem to have folks saying that they sound a bit 'uptilted' which would be unusual, considering their specs. Very clean sounding is the expectation. Perhaps they are mistaking clean open transient information that is free of phase slurring due to adequate current delivery to the givens circuits..perhaps they are mistaking that for blunted phase shifted micro-detail obscuring noise. Which is what most electrolytic capacitors give you.

one thing that small bit of ESR testing does show, is a consistent full value of capacitance rating, at 100hz-120hz-1,000hz and 10khz. with some of them showing an increase in capacitance at the higher frequencies. This is unusual in the world of electrolytic. many spec sheets indicate higher ripple at higher frequencies, yes, but a high and stable capacitance reading across the board with low esr and low dissipation is unusual, in any electrolytic. This kind of wideband stability is usually reserved for film caps.

If we could only convince Panasonic to produce an OFC lead version of their FM series capacitors, I think that might be just about perfect.

silly me. I made an assumption. I 'thought' that the Cardas RCA's where always made of copper. Now I see that they are brass. Non magnetic, yes. But brass.

No wonder I always pulled them out of every piece of gear I've ever owned that had them.

My current favorites are the DH Labs, when it comes to budget (female RCA) designs. Excellent sounding. The only one I'm aware of that has less of a sonic signature..is the WBT nextgen female RCA.

For Male RCA, I find the Eichmann RCA's to have the least sonic signature, with the WBT nextgen male RCA's being second. The ones considered are the copper designs of each.

Have to revise that now.

Eichmann is 'ETI', and Keith is on his own, with revamped designs. Truthfully, I have not tried Keith's new designs, as I am forced to use the original ETI design, due to how the grounding is done in the body of the RCA. Keith changed the design when he started his new company, and I suspect it is at least as good, or better than the original design. I would prefer to give his new designs a shot, but the ground pin change simply cannot work in our cables.

I searched the world over (walking hundreds of miles through deserts and wastelands, etc) for the best male RCA for our cable designs and ended up with the ETI RCA design being, literally, the ONLY functional Male RCA connector that can work with a liquid metal cable design.

The WBT nexgen designs can be made to fit. Reluctantly. Modifications to both help considerably. The nexgen RCA, with mods, and careful attention to implementation, is superior to the ETI connector.

All these RCA connectors are designed for WIRE. We don't use wire, as wire is absolutely inferior in all possible forms of physics analysis, for conducting a complex wide bandwidth, 10-11 octave DC to HF varied level high harmonic content signal such as an 'audio signal'.

Wire, or 'solidus form physically shaped lattice structure' is good for DC, kind of. After that, with the inclusion of any sort of dynamic complexity in signal...... it begins to distort. wire is all we had, until now. When this is looked at with clear eyes and mind, and noting that signal is actually a self forming plasma --- then we can see that wire, or conductors (as we call them), solid metals of any kind, to conduct electricity....is the introduction of distortion. Period.

Last edited:
I know some days I like pepperoni pizza some days I don't. So there is no real reason? I don't care what you THINK you can hear give me a real reason. Physics, double blind listening test, anything? Your saying you prefer one over the other when there is no proof that there even is a difference means nothing to anyone but your self.

I know some days I like pepperoni pizza some days I don't. So there is no real reason? I don't care what you THINK you can hear give me a real reason. Physics, double blind listening test, anything? Your saying you prefer one over the other when there is no proof that there even is a difference means nothing to anyone but your self.

Measurement is not king.

In a nutshell: Observation is king--- that's the heart and soul of science. Measurement is engineering, that's all about looking at life through the rear view mirror.

Please don't confuse or conflate the two.

Come back when you understand a bit more. You will be warmly welcomed. :)

In the meantime, please do not pollute the thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
Humans are not capable of observing without subconsciously processing what they observe. This processing throws out a lot of data, and only a small amount is actually perceived.

Ever seen a familiar shape form in the clouds? It was just clouds that were observed, yet somehow (e.g) a rabbit was perceived.

Measurement is not king.

In a nutshell: Observation is king--- that's the heart and soul of science. Measurement is engineering, that's all about looking at life through the rear view mirror.

The pollution that was introduced here seems to the idea that a measurement is not an observation.

I'd like to see a credible Venn diagram that did not show measurement as a subset of observation.

My goodness man, google the following:

observation measurement experimentation

The above seems to be to be a transparent attempt to assert an agenda of demonizing measurements. Pollution in any intellectual discussion.

Anyway, his thread is not for argument; or questioning of people's positions on component choices. There's a hundred other threads that cover that discussion. We're trying to get something done here. I appreciate the questions, etc, but the 'audio fight club' belongs elsewhere. Thank you. :)

Arny, Ken is a poet. Don't try to make technical sense out of what he writes, just enjoy the flow of words. He can be quite entertaining.

I take it this is the same Arny I went head to head with on the rec.audio.highend message boards back in the mid-early 90's?

The same Arny that argued that 44/16 was good enough for everybody and is essentially perfect? Who was so insistent in everything ----and proven wrong so many times?

don't answer that, I think we're done here......

Last edited:
Anyway, his thread is not for argument; or questioning of people's positions on component choices. There's a hundred other threads that cover that discussion. We're trying to get something done here. I appreciate the questions, etc, but the 'audio fight club' belongs elsewhere. Thank you. :)

You must bed really desperate for an argument, given that the post you have seized on was made 19th August 2015 at 04:50 PM..

Not feeding trolls these days, if I can help it.

EVOX/Kemet PFR series low value polypropylene capacitors: Magnetic leads

Panasonic ECW-F low value (eg 0.018uf/630v) polypropylene capacitors: Magnetic leads.

The vast majority of the panasonic ECW-F capacitors are non-magnetic (in the 250v series), but... be wary of design changes.

Kemet Bulgarian manufactured metallized polypropylene film caps, series R75L, 0.1uf & 0.047uf value.... 250ac/560dc (long lead, loose/bulk, digikey sourced): NON-magnetic

Which bodes well for the other values in the 75L series (some may not be non magnetic). Price is low, one of the lowest per unit for the given voltage rating, so this might be a go-to cap, if it's sonic qualities pan out.

http://www.kemet.com/Lists/ProductCatalog/Attachments/225/F3301_R752-L.pdf

Vishay F339X1 AC filter series, 4700pf: magnetic leads (as expected, this is AC power, no copper/tin leads under high voltage mains applications, too risky)

Last edited:
Some RG6 coaxial cable has a copper clad steel center conductor. Some years ago I was the chief engineer for big and popular FM radio station. I replaced a three foot section of coax cable between the station's audio processor and it's transmitter with RG223 which has a silver plated copper center conductor. When I got into my car for a listen I was amazed at the difference. Two people who work at the station also commented to me that the station sounded better. Neither of them knew that I had made a change and neither of them had spoken to the other. When I checked to see what the old coax cable was made of I found copper clad steel. The idea of non-linear series inductance for cable seems to make sense to me.

Measurement is not king.

Measurement is observation, more stupidity.

I was playing around looking for non-magnetic resistors today.

Vishay MRA / Mills are non magnetic, but mostly unavailable at mouser.
Most CMF55 resistors seemed to be non-magnetic, and they weren't the non-magnetic version.
Vishay LVR series seemed to be non-magnetic, but now discontinued.
Ohmite 2W 5% carbon film resistors, strongly magnetic.

Dale 5W wire-wound resistors, 4R7-47R values, some were magnetic and some weren't, no correspondence to resistance either. Bit puzzling that one...
Dale 5W, I tried to measure the inductance, but the reading wasn't stable, somewhere between 1uH and 3uH.
I was thinking these might be good for both the parallel inductor and resistor in an audio amplifier output network, one component to do both jobs.