Baffled by a UPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My new UPS seems really incapable of supplying light loads. It would supply a 200W load for over 30 minutes but lightly loaded or not loaded at all it switches off in exactly 5 min. This seems like some type of a safety feature but for the life of me i can't see the purpose. Is this common? My other, very old UPS, certainly does not behave the same way. Any ideas if it is possible to modify this?

Hi,

There might be a logic to it:
if it senses no load for a period of time, it decides it is not in use, and shuts down in order to save the batteries.
I would imagine this kind of "feature" can be disabled via the console or dip switches (unless it is endorsed by Microsoft, off course).
LV

Quite likely. A very annoying "feature" which makes it impossible to power up items with low consumption like ADSL modems/routers or laptops. I wonder if this is common with other modern UPSs. If it does indeed sense the output current, there is likely to be a sense resistor in series with the output, right? Sadly, no dip switches, pots or any possibility for adjustments.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.