Shielded cable for internal amp wireing: where do I connect the shield?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To bricolo!

The problem is capacitance at the output....power amps with lots of feedback as yours (after all is a power op amp) don't like to see to much capacitance at the output

Have you wonder why you don't see shielded cables as speaker cables outhere??

Au revoir!

Jorge

Re: To bricolo!

Tube_Dude said:
The problem is capacitance at the output....power amps with lots of feedback as yours (after all is a power op amp) don't like to see to much capacitance at the output

Have you wonder why you don't see shielded cables as speaker cables outhere??

Au revoir!

Jorge

mine is shielded (monacor ofc)

I'm on the way to put my gainclone in it's final chassis, and to rewire everything

since the only "quality" wire I have is this shielded ofc cable, and thant the chassis is aluminium

is there any advantage in using shielded cable INSIDE the metal chassis?
Connecting every shield to star ground will add a mess in the chassis.

If shielding is nonsence in the chassis, what would be better:

use the cable as if, and leave the shield unconnected
remove the shield?

I. Why shielded cable if everthing is inside a grounded enclosure?

Even if you have a gounded metal enclosure there may be value to shielded input: A- protection from noise on the poer lines AC or DC, however a few inches (=2.54cm) will oftem resolve that problem, B- crosstalk from the output of the other channel (monblocks eliminate this).

II. Self's book shows a diagram where one end of the shield is connected to the outer ring of the RCA connector and the other end of the shield joins up withe the ground from the NFB return and both then go to the star point. However, the same diagram also shows a direct connection betweenthe outer ring of the RCA connector to chassis earth but the star point NOT connected to the chassis earth. As much as I admit that Self knows more than me, this looks odd. Certainly there is no room for a loop but not connecting the star point to the chassis ground (except indirectly back through the shield anf the outer RCA ring seems like there might be a safety issue.

So, shielded cable in a metal enclosure is not nonsense.
Nice, I'll keep my shielded cable!

But connecting each shield to star ground will give me an enormous star in the chassis :(

Could I, in example on a RCA connector, use the wire for the signal, and the shield to connect the outer ring to the star ground?
Instead of using a cable for the signal, and another for the ground

"Could I, in example on a RCA connector, use the wire for the signal, and the shield to connect the outer ring to the star ground?
Instead of using a cable for the signal, and another for the ground"

I think so. That's basically what I've got planned for my current project. There seem to be more than one opininion regarding the "One correct way". And unfortunately, it seems like all the diagrams and explanations are ambiguous. The two criteria, to my mind, are that A- it is safe and B- you don't pick up any hum. If those two are met, then it is right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.