Toshiba power BJTs now at digikey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mirlo said:
This is good news: 2sa1302/c3281 and a1943/c5200 are available at Digikey!

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T031/0495.pdf

Reasonable prices, too, IMO.

Not bad at all.

Though the Motorola, er, ONSemi (man, why are so many large companies changing to such goofy names these days?) equivalents (the MJL3281As and MJL1302As anyway) sound better in my opinion. And in fact they're actually more linear than the Toshiba parts.

However the ONSemi parts aren't quite as readily available as the Toshibas.

se

Availability of ON-SEMI parts

On Semi is distributed by Allied, Future-Active, Newark -- and you can go online through ON-Semi's webiste linked into Avnet (which is parent of Allied). Avnet is the largest electronics distributor in the world., but they prefer to use the Avnet name to sell to OEM's. They will take your money, however !

Discretes saved Motorola's hyde in the early 1980's -- people gave up on the company as Intel roared ahead in MCU's. When MOT (ehr, Galvin, the boy-genius who runs MOT) jettisoned discretes for communications gear you knew that it was the top of the market. ONSEMI struggles along.

Re: Availability of ON-SEMI parts

jackinnj said:
On Semi is distributed by Allied, Future-Active, Newark -- and you can go online through ON-Semi's webiste linked into Avnet (which is parent of Allied). Avnet is the largest electronics distributor in the world., but they prefer to use the Avnet name to sell to OEM's. They will take your money, however !

Sure, there are a number of places that sell them. We buy 'em by the thousand and we hit dry spells fairly regularly.

se

Just because a manufacturer doesn't have the datasheet
any more doesn't mean the part is totally dead. Policies
differ. Some will pull the datasheet when they want to
start phasing the product out, but will continue to make them
for quite a while (common with discretes). Others will
issue a 1 year obsolescense notice and may pull the datasheet
immediately or may leave it until the product actually dies.

It's easy to see if Digi-Key has stock; just ask their web site.

The two newer Toshiba devices that Digi-key sells 1943/5200
are supposed to be improved replacements for the
1302/3281.

The question probably is whether the ON Semi versions of the
1302/3281 are better than the Toshiba 1943/5200.

Caveat: One can't just go by graphs on datasheets. The
accuracy of these is highly dependent on the company
involved, and even at best they are "typical". I.E., YMMV
(a lot!)

Now that Digi-Key is stocking SOME Toshiba parts, can we
hope that they will start stocking the medium power and
small-signal parts we all crave?

I just had a chat online with a Digi-Key sales representative, who said there are no plans at this time to stock the small-signal Toshiba parts, but I did make the suggestion that they carry some specific parts, such as the 2sc2240 and 2sa970, as well as some JFET parts... j109/k389 and j74/k170 etc.

I urge all of you to phone / email / chat with DigiKey sales and request parts like this. If they start receiving lots of feedback from excited customers who appreciate the Toshiba audio power BJTs, and are requesting small-signal parts, I think we stand a chance of actually getting them to bring some in! :nod:

I was careful to explain that audio hobbyists don't place large orders individually, and thus get little to no representation with distributors. The collective market is, however, large enough for them to justify stocking some of these parts. I also mentioned that the parts were difficult to get here in N. America, and if they were to bring them in, the combined orders of all these people would add up quickly!

So let's let them know it! :up:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.