chassis wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to figure out what kind of wire to use to connect to the circuit board, binding posts, rca jacks, etc.. I don't want to get into such things as material, or stranded vs single core, so much as what guage is best? Assuming fairly good quality copper wire, I'm thinking something like 22 guage is good except for power supply lines which should be around 16???

I've done a lot of searching and haven't really found an answer to the size question. Any comments? also any pointers to cheap wire would be much appreciated because this stuff can get excessive :)

-Evan

audiophool here

Herm - politically correct.. lol thats a perfect term for it.

Tim - thanks for the guideline. So the maximum signal current for my aleph is gonna bethe speaker output and the bias supply at 2 to 2.5 amps. if then 24AWG is good for an amp, then 22 would be around 2 amps? that might not be quite enough so it seems like 20 would be better for me, agree? Do I need to worry about using smaller wires for the lower voltage signals? I don't want to bother if it isn't gonna make much difference.

thanks

Evan

Yep, for 2-3A 20-22AWG would work fine. Stranded is generally better than solid because it's easier to move around and get into place, and if it gets moved around a lot, it won't break from repeated bending.

For signal lines, it can be anything you have on hand, if it's 18AWG then whatever. Keep in mind anything thinner than 26AWG is pretty thin, starts getting hard to handle... ;)

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.