WANTED! Gold-plated reed relays

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't think you'll find gold-plated reeds. Remember that reeds are sealed and thus the advantages of gold (lack of oxidation problems) is not an issue

Pickering relay has a number of models with various "exotic" platings for various applications. I'd suggest looking at mercury whetted contacts or sputtered ruthenium.

I'm not overly impressed with Pickering as a vendor, but for small quantities, they are probably OK. My own preference would be to not worry about exotic plating and use Coto.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
BrianL said:
I don't think you'll find gold-plated reeds. Remember that reeds are sealed and thus the advantages of gold (lack of oxidation problems) is not an issue

Pickering relay has a number of models with various "exotic" platings for various applications. I'd suggest looking at mercury whetted contacts or sputtered ruthenium.

I'm not overly impressed with Pickering as a vendor, but for small quantities, they are probably OK. My own preference would be to not worry about exotic plating and use Coto.

I have used Pickering sputtered ruthenium for signal-level applications with no problems at all. They have a series especially for low level apps like in automated test machines for chip builders. These are very reliable and very transparent. I could order small quantities by credit card directly at the factory.

Jan Didden

Tolu said:
Hi

I am looking for gold-plated reed relays SPDT for about 6 months.

Any hints, links, suppliers, manufacturers?

Regards

Tolu

Try looking for signal relays from manufacturers like NEC, Omron, Cotto, etc.

Even if not specifically stated on the spec sheet, most relays optimized for low-level signal use gold plated contacts due to the need to prevent oxidization.

You might also look at "low thermal EMF" relays from the same manufacturers. These are specifically designed for switching sensitive low voltage signals with very high signal integrity.

Unless you really need a reed relay (i.e. high switching frequency, impedance matching, etc.) why not try a conventional relay such as the Omron G5V series?

Specs here: http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-g5v1.pdf

I have used these for low level switching with good success. They cost about $2.50 in small quantity, and are readily available from suppliers like Mouser, Newark, Digikey, etc.

Down side is they use a bit more power and are not as quiet acoustically as the reeds.

Just food for thought.

Keith

I found the following quote at the Burmester site (www.burmester.de) at the product info of the PreAmplifier 011:

"The no-compromise IR remote control has been completely adopted from the 808 MK5. Volume is set in 60 logarithmically tuned steps by a passive R-2R network consisting of precision resistors and gold-plated Reed relays . Only this extreme sophistication can guarantee the desired 100 per cent equal channel balance. Switching between signal sources is also done by relays directly at the inputs. "

I wrote them an email but got no answer from which supplier they get them. :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.