pin to socket connector to mount small board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, need help finding the right part. I have a 3x2 header on a DAC pcb to enable i2s input (just use 3 of the 6 pins). I just finished a 3x4" daughterboard for clock circuit and I want to find an L-shaped connector. The pin end would be through hole mounted to the daughterboard, and the socket end would connect to the main DAC 3x2 header. I'm only using 3 pins on this 3x2 header. The small clock board would mount vertically. Thanks!

I assume that what you have left open on the 3x2 pin header is a 1x3 set of pins. And can we assume that the pins are spaced 0.1" apart? What shape and size are the pins? Are they .025" square?

Have you already got the 1x3 array of holes on the daughterboard?

What's using the other pins of the 3x2? Whatever it is might be in the way if you just use a right-angle female socket, if the board has to be on the side of the female socket that the other 3 (already-used) pins are on, unless you can mount the R/A female socket on the other side of the board. But if you already have the board made, one of those ways won't work.

What kind of plating is on the 3x2's pins? It's best to use a similar metal for the socket. i.e. don't use gold-plated for one and not the other.

Something like mouser.com's 575-502001 might work. Unfortunately, you have to buy a 50-position one and break off 3 of them. And it's $8.20 each or so.

Or, maybe you could use a vertical female socket and bend the pins. Jameco.com has a 20-pin one, for wire-wrap (i.e. with extra-long pins), with 20 positions, for $1.65. It's jameco.com part # 101283. I assume it could be cut down to 1x3.

Good luck.

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.