Trying to repari a GPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a GPS. The antenna broke when it fall down. i opened it, and saw the antenna broke, but damaged the internal conectors the are used for conecting the lcd. This lcd has a flat plastic conector, that carry the rails for the lcd. Anyone know if this conector are standard? and if so, where can I get them?

For small solid state GPS units == ... just put the antenna back in place as best you can and give it a small hit of solder. (You may not even need the solder as very close proximity of the antenna and lead will be good enough.) :smash:

As for the internal connector, repairing the connections is best as replacing the hard to find connector may be more work and less reliability than its worth.

FastEddy said:
For small solid state GPS units == ... just put the antenna back in place as best you can and give it a small hit of solder. (You may not even need the solder as very close proximity of the antenna and lead will be good enough.) :smash:

As for the internal connector, repairing the connections is best as replacing the hard to find connector may be more work and less reliability than its worth.

On the backside of the antena, has a zone that seems like ceramic,what is broken, I guess maybe that is the problem? So´, I´m not sure if really can be repaired itself..
Regarding to the conectors, how doing the repairing? The problem, is that I broke a little leg there, and the other problem is that is missing the flap that pressed the lcd conector. what do you suggest?
I´ll try to get a photo from there.

antenna foto

Attachments

• imag0063.jpg
    imag0063.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 91
this is the conector on the mainboard, it has 50 pin for the lcd conector, what uses 49 of them. As you can see, is missing the last 3 pin on the right side, so I´m not sure how could repair that. Also is missing the flap that would press the lcd conector.
Can´t be get another new conector like this? 25 mm, for 50 pin, is not a standard?

Attachments

• imag0058.jpg
    imag0058.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 88
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
If you want to repair that you will need to replace the connector. I'm sure you could find a replacement one at Digikey, Mouser, or other parts supplier. We use similar ones at work and I can't remember who makes them but they are a pain to replace...

If you are very good with a soldering iron you can remove that connector without lifting any pads. However, the recommended tool for removing connectors like that one is a hot air pencil.

BWRX said:
If you want to repair that you will need to replace the connector. I'm sure you could find a replacement one at Digikey, Mouser, or other parts supplier. We use similar ones at work and I can't remember who makes them but they are a pain to replace...

If you are very good with a soldering iron you can remove that connector without lifting any pads. However, the recommended tool for removing connectors like that one is a hot air pencil.

Umm, hot air pencil are expensive, not? maybe could pay for the soldering service on a SAT. Where your are located? Maybe any of you could do the work?
How must I search for the conector? Type, name? how are they called?

FastEddy said:
Re: " ... antenna foto ..."

I would not try to fix it at all ... except any metal foil on the back side. Otherwise the broken piece should be left "in state" and don't bother trying to repair it ... it will work to 90% of usefulness as is.
I´m guessing if this type of antennas are standard for many GPS units, or is excluive for this firm. It´s a Garmin Nuvi, and I suspect they will put me some problems on selling me only the antenna, or I suspect they will charge a huge amount of $$.

" ... I´m guessing if this type of antennas are standard for many GPS units ... It´s a Garmin Nuvi ... "

Now, currently, all Garmin antennas & receiver modules are made by Global Sat (aka USGlobalSat.com) ... same, same for about 95% of all GPS devices, military, civilian or otherwise. The antenna is tuned to the receiver, but because of the nature of gigaHertz radio, the antenna does not have to exactly match the receiver in order to work ... the parts only have to be close together (like your "broken" antenna). My advise for your repair: don't spend any money on special tools and don't bother soldering on that antenna. Do try to repair that connector, but not if it costs a whole lot of time and / or money. :apathic:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
lagoausente said:
Umm, hot air pencil are expensive, not? maybe could pay for the soldering service on a SAT. Where your are located? Maybe any of you could do the work?
How must I search for the conector? Type, name? how are they called?

Some hot air pencils are expensive. They good ones usually are.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the repair of your GPS unit. I'd like to but I don't have the time and we're probably not that close location wise. I would suggest looking for an electronics repair shop around your area or even contacting the manufacturer to see who could repair it and/or how much it would cost. They will probably just say buy another unit but you won't know unless you ask.

As far as locating the connector goes, we use similar ones at work that are made by Molex. On Digikey they are in the FFC/FPC (Flat Flex) category. Something like this perhaps: http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/541045096_sd.pdf (that's the top contact version, which looks like what is in the photo you posted).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.