EV ETX monitor channel 1 not working

Hi everyone,

I have a pair of EV ETX 15P-EU- SAP powered speakers. Both speakers have a faulty channel 1, ie no volume with noise. Channel 2 on both speakers are working perfectly. I completed a factory reset but still the same.

Would anyone know if the problem would be in the input PCB or the main Amp? The main amp seems to have 2 sides. Makes me think channel 1 and 2.

I’m not aware of what happened to them but to me it looks like a large signal has appeared on the line in on these channels simultaneously. I haven’t tested the input components on the input pcb yet ( I’m hoping the fault is around here) so first I thought I’d reach out and ask the question to see if anyone could steer me in the direction to getting these channels working again or if someone has had something similar in another DSP monitor.

I don’t have a schematic diagram to study but I’m hoping it’s something pretty simple to repair.

Your advice would be appreciated to help me repair.

Best

Paul

Interestingly (ie annoyingly) Electrovox seem not to document the max input level anywhere, I checked the user manual, datasheet, brochure.

However they will take a microphone input, so it very unlikely they are safe for high level, and someone's done that and blown the channel up.

Since one channel is working, the main amp is unlikely to be the issue. I suspect there are separate amps for the two drivers.
I don’t have a schematic diagram to study but I’m hoping it’s something pretty simple to repair.
Well a schematic is really going to make a difference, reverse engineering is time consuming and tedious. You could just replace all the semiconductors on the faulty channel and hope. Assuming you can figure out part numbers. Got any photos of the pcbs??

Would anyone know if the problem would be in the input PCB or the main Amp?
I'd suspect the input PCB since the other input works and the speaker performs normally when it is used.. if I understand correctly.

The main amp seems to have 2 sides. Makes me think channel 1 and 2.
No. The amp has 2 channels but one is for the woofer and the other for the tweeter.

I’m not aware of what happened to them but to me it looks like a large signal has appeared on the line in on these channels simultaneously.
What makes you suspect that? If somebody connected a power amplifier output to those inputs that would definitely destroy the input preamp, and if that is the case the input pcb has to be replaced. This wouldn't be the first time I have heard of sombody doing that.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply’s much appreciated.

I think the quick fix would be to order 2 pcb input boards. I need to do more research on where I can get them. So far I can only see them available from America. As far as I’m aware they have to be programmed for the correct cabinet type too.

I’ve attached some pics of the pcb boards.

I would suspect someone probably tried to power them with a power amp and caused the damage on both cabinets. Damaging input channel 1 on the both of the cabinets. Can’t see how else it would happen.

Attachments

• 53ED58BF-84F3-4AC3-B6E1-27D7663F3330.jpg
    53ED58BF-84F3-4AC3-B6E1-27D7663F3330.jpg
    996.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 7BB2A06A-93DE-4F61-AAE2-23F048A14466.jpg
    7BB2A06A-93DE-4F61-AAE2-23F048A14466.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 109
  • F4F66DE6-D202-4462-8FBB-535A2A0BABEB.jpg
    F4F66DE6-D202-4462-8FBB-535A2A0BABEB.jpg
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 101
  • FBB1CCB8-2DFA-4C66-8ED4-A67BEB35399B.jpg
    FBB1CCB8-2DFA-4C66-8ED4-A67BEB35399B.jpg