Help choosing loudspeakers for 2000 Square feet hall

I am planning to buy 12" 125w x 4 nos. active loudspeakers for a hall size of 2000 sq. ft. and close to 100 persons to gather. I will be placing the speakers wall mounted on the sides of the hall, 2 on the front and 2 at the rear.

Based on reading some articles, I narrowed it to 12" 125w speakers. I am yet to decide on the make / model. The dimension of the hall will be 60Lx40Bx15H in feet.

Will this be sufficient? Please help me out before I buy.

It's a place of gathering for worship and sermon.
We will use a keyboard, percussion pad and 5 microphones connected to a 8 channel mixer.

there's still too much in terms of unknowns to give appropriate advice.
what is the interior finish, typical drywall?

and if the system is to be used for live performances the strategy of placing two pairs spaced apart will become a problem introducing to many response/phase/timing issues that even the best quality speaker could not counter.

You are about to make the same mistake that almost every single church makes with audio equipment.. that is start an almost never ending cycle of upgrades that will cost more in the end than it would have cost to buy the correct product the first time. This is a result of lack of knowledge and in some cases unrealistic expectations of what is possible, so it's better to spend time to educate yourself before making any pushcases.

Right off the bad your idea to place speakers in the 4 corners is all wrong, that is actually the worst thing you can do in a room with hard surfaces everywhere.
Is there any possibility to fly the speakers? They need to be placed ahead of any open microphones and be angled down at the listeners, do not point them at the opposite walls. I would hope this would be obvious but it's amazing how many speakers I have seen installed this way over the years.
And to suspend speakers overhead they must be fly rated with built-in threaded anchors, it is not safe to hang them from thier handles.
You can also forget wattage, you need to know how loud you want it to be at the listening position and then buy speakers that can comfortably deliver that, the wattage needed for that will vary depending upon the design of the speaker system.

I agree with learning first. When we went to school we had teachers to assist our learning. I highly recommend simply calling a sound professional in to determine your needs and make recommendations. A teacher. It would be money well spent to pay his fee.

If this is a church or something like a church, then probably the sound won't have to compete with other noise. A sermon presented to an audience who sits there quietly and listens. That is different from a live music situation where we want to fill the hall with sound. And "spoken word" arrangements won't need a lot of snorting bottom end.

Ever shop in a supermarket? You can hear the music or announcements just fine all over the store, yet they are not trying to fill the place from the corners. They use a grid of overhead speakers. There are many options, that is why I suggest calling a professional.

(Oh please, the forum censor wouldn't let me use the word you form by combining "as" and "sess" which means to evaluate.)

Last edited:
What would be the ideal height to suspend a speaker overhead
As high as possible. The idea with that is it equalizes the distance between speakers and listeners so that those in front aren't exposed to significantly higher SPLs than those in the back.

01-Consistent-Coverage-650x312.jpg

@conanski
In that case of suspending at a highest possible height, can a single 250w speaker and a monitor for the stage would be suffice for ~100 persons?
Well, I got to know from posts above that there are other factors to consider and learn.., still theoretically this setup would go right, isn't it?

It's going to depend upon the SPL and bandwidth requirements. For speech only it would definitely be sufficient but once instruments are added it could start to be marginal, but it depends on what instruments we are talking about. A guitar or piano accompanying singers is likely OK, but add any instrument that produces substantial low frequency content(organ, bass guitar) and that 250w doesn't go very far and the added low frequency content will negatively affect mid/vocal clarity with a convential 2-way speaker system.
The type of service also has a big impact on what is suitable, a traditional catholic/protestant church service doesn't need much beyond vocal reinforcement but a modern praise service can be as loud as a live rock band, and that requires the same size and power in the PA system.