BMS 10C262 coaxial build

The cd needs a lot of finessing with the filters to get right, FIR is your friend here.

Exactly. I was comparing IIR (biquads) and FIR filters this weekend. I EQed driver for the same house curve using FIR and IIR. It took some time and I tried to be precise...
The difference is significant. The sound is more harsh with biquads, FIR produced sweeter and more precise sound. FIR is way to go, at least with this driver. In fact I was so pleased with the result, that I started contemplating FIRs for bass and sub bass drivers. The only feasible solution seems to be computer based DSP for those, becouse of huge number of taps.

As would 45 deg.

//

Here is 0 and 45 degree comparison of both drivers with FIR applied. Parameters "as usual", 5cm, gated.

Attachments

• 0-45degNearfield.jpg
    0-45degNearfield.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 387
Something interesting on the impulse tests:
2021-10-19_09-54-31.png
The bit I have circled is probably a reflection from the back of the cabinet coming back through the cone. If it is percent (not sure on that one), it's quite big
Try either absorbing it with lining or wadding, or diffusing it with angled or rounded wooden blocks on the inside of the cabinet

Brian

Reactions: 1 users
The bit I have circled is probably a reflection from the back of the cabinet coming back through the cone. If it is percent (not sure on that one), it's quite big
Try either absorbing it with lining or wadding, or diffusing it with angled or rounded wooden blocks on the inside of the cabinet

Brian

This is interesting insight. Yes it is percent. The cone is like 23cm from back of the cabinet, which is about 1.5ms in sound travel (from cone and back to cone), so it correlates with your statement. However the cabinet is filled with polycotton damping, so this should be fine - unless it fell off, I will check it, thanks.