Help with identifying this horn speaker, please?

Dear all,

Can anyone suggest a name or ‘style’ for this horn?

I can just about work out what it looks like from this picture but would really like to find out more.

tia,

Dan.

Attachments

• 9B6F7484-5043-4A6C-B407-DF221C25BDA0.jpeg
    9B6F7484-5043-4A6C-B407-DF221C25BDA0.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 204
Turk 182,

As I see it, the top aspect is a horizontal cross section through the driver (roughly 1/3 from top or bottom of the speaker), providing a view of the phase plug. The bottom aspect is a vertical cross section, straight down the middle, excluding the phase plug, for clarity.

No data I understand. This was just a ‘sketch’ idea.

AllenB,

I would probably start the horn expansion immediately, at the throat, not 330mm along. Not sure what this straight section would achieve?

The scale seems odd to me? The phase plug is 60mm at its widest but is drawn the same width as the 100mm horn-throat section? Just an oversight, I presume?

As I understand it, a gent going by the name SRAM came up with this sketch. I’ve tried to find him through the German forums but google translate would not work and my German is worse than terrible. Entschuldigung.

D.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
One typical reason for a straight section is to provide a certain overall expansion for low frequency loading, while allowing horizontal waveguiding, at the expense of the vertical profile.. which can be improved in other ways.

Just conjecturing here, in this case it appears the vertical control is influenced by the dual driver arrangement, and the phase plug maybe shares the constriction needed for loading into the horizontal profile, and the requisite diffractions appear to have been arranged variously.

It would take some time to really pull it apart. On the other hand I'd probably choose to redesign such a horn in any case, even if I planned to keep some of its features.

Looks like a "TurboSound" or a Meyer Sound" design.

Looks like a "TurboSound" or a Meyer Sound" design.
Both boxes have "Phase plugs", (the phallic thingy in the middle)

Attachments

• images-2.jpg
    images-2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 52
  • download-1.jpg
    download-1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 54
  • download-2.jpg
    download-2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 55
  • download-3.jpg
    download-3.jpg