Peavey SP2A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was given a pair of Peavey SP2A's. The cabinets are solid but do have road wear on them.

I was wondering if these were worth refinishing and fixing up? I know one of the Black Widows will at least need to be reconed if not replaced. The other I haven't tested.

My second question is if the cabinets are worth refinishing, would it be better to keep Peavey drivers and crossover or swap them out for something else like JBL?

Thanks in advance.

Worth it or not depends upon what use you have for a speaker like this, it's just another 15+1 cab which is a compromized design to begin with but it does get loud. The weak point in this box is the high frequency driver, it could certainly use an upgrade but JBL wouldn't be my first choice, I'd suggest a B&C DE250, nothing wrong with Black Widow drivers though and recones are easy with the quick change basket design they use.

OTOH if they have the RX22 2" horn, they sound like 20 db down HD @ 1 W 1 m. (see the SP2g specs). My SP2-XT were the best I've ever heard speakers (except 2G at the store) for classical music at 1W in my living room. I have a Steinway to use for ear calibration, & ears that go to 14 khz. We don't get magnaplaners out here in flyover country. & NOBODY else in speakers quoted a max HD spec @ 1w 1m that I've seen.

I have the 2G model, used them for 20+ years, better sounding and more durable then JBLs.
I bought mine new for $250 each.

Sadly the new speakers that weigh 15 lbs and have a class D amp are preferred even though they are 6-9 db quieter. At 61 years of age I can't risk picking up 75-90lb cabs anymore. I have thought about cutting the cab and making them into a 2 piece, the waveform for the tweeter is an exceptionally good one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.