From PC to amplifier and back into PC - feedback problems?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
can you explain further
Sorry I didn't read correct Your problem. Your problem is with feedback.
Usually You can't route audio from many applications.
Voicemeeter tries to solve Playback hardware is busy messages.
My best bet would be mixing everything outside of the PC and then feed mixed audio into the PC for broadcasting along with the camera.
Even if You don't use a PC, You will always have the feedback problems live.
You can avoid feedback with "feedback destroyers" or better with frequency shifters.
Frequency is shifted a few Hz and so the sound that couples by feedback into the mike is different.
100Hz voice mike in becomes 105 Hz on speaker.
The problem is I don't know cheap solutions.
My brother uses a DBX speaker management on it's PA rack and it has a calibrated mike for pinking a room & attenuate feedback frequencies which works fine.
His Turbosound IQ speakers also feature a feedback destroyer setup menu.
The best You can do is tweaking the tone controls & gain levels on the mixer.
Perhaps an 32 band cheap equalizer could help narrow down this nasty feedback frequencies.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
^ MAACO,
yes it is a way to solve hum/buzz except you run into safety issues ( OP is a newbie so better to stay away from this kind of solution imho).

Ground/earth should never been disconected from power/mains plugs if present as it ground the chassis/ case and this can be lethal if missing.

In some country it is forbiden ( in mine for example) and will void any insurance and transfer all legal responsability to the operator performing this.

Better be safe than sorry: solution is to use isolation transformers, either dedicated either from a DI.
Edcor as some on offer for reasonable cost if needed. But only if an issue arise.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
You usually solve with an ungrounded PSU or a cheater 3 to 2 plug
:cop:
As this is potentially unsafe to user, equipment and property, and may be illegal in some countries, let this post serve as a warning as required in Note 2 of the site Rules - diyAudio Rules

...... While most projects on this site deal with electricity and construction which inherently involve some risk, particularly dangerous topics and procedures should include a warning in the thread that adequately explains these risks. ......

Joined 2009
Paid Member
^ class II gear is indeed 'double isolated' but it doesn't have an earth/ground plug as standard.

The way you stated your sentence was implicitly refering to a 'tower' ( 'cheating with a 3 to 2 plug' or 'disconect ground from the psu') not a laptop (you even say it in your last message: most of them only use 2 plugs for main).

To be honest Maaco, from experienced users to experienced users this kind of solution is sometimes used and what is choosen ( you do live acts if i understand correctly and in this context you have to react fast enough so this can happen, you seems to have already done it as i have!) but to beginners it shouldn't even be mentioned if the person doesn't have a clear understanding of what is at play and risks imho.

Last edited:
Just a quick update on this.

Problem #1 – playing music from PC

Sangram’s comments were bang on. I have taken a line from the PC headphone socket to the back of the amplifier with desktop audio turned off in OBS and it works perfect – music plays great over PA and becomes part of the stream with no feedback issues.

Problem #2 – one mic distorted.

I was taking the audio feed from the headphone socket on the PA into the onboard sound on the PA. I have tried the Creative USB with the feed going into the line in and it works perfect, no distortion on the mic that was giving distortion and the sound quality overall is much better, less background buzzing.

Although the quality is very acceptable at this stage, I suspect that I might be able to get it even better by getting using one of the outputs on the amplifier or the graphics equaliser it feeds into; also by using the line out on the Creative USB for the music instead of the PC headphone socket. I’ve just found out, however, that one of our local guys is a qualified sound engineer with many years’ experience working with live bands and he’s meeting me in the church tomorrow to look at the various options. I wish I’d known about him earlier but in the meantime, thanks to everyone here for the various bits of advice.

I was taking the audio feed from the headphone socket on the PA into the onboard sound on the PA.

Stereo Headphone out has both channels in phase. A normal TRS jack to XLR cable doesn't work here unless You split into two RCA's or XLR's. There are exceptions like the ART Promix 3 in which the headphone out are mono signals out of phase.

A common mixer input wants a balanced signal which a stereo headphone out doesn't provide.

The cable that no one makes:

The Stereo-to-Mono Summing Cable That No One Makes |

Late Reflections – the Silent Sky Studios Blog

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Glad you got it sorted.

To your distortion problem. When you say it plays back perfect over PA and badly in your software, is it exhibiting the issue when played standalone, or in conjunction with all the other mics?

Are the levels okay? Sometimes transients will cause digital clipping. Depending on what you're using to record and the bit depth, the level at which you clip may be quite sudden.

To elaborate on MAACO's point(s) in post 29 . .

The problem I see more often with such *mismatched* interfaces is 'low impedance stereo out (popularly 'MP3'), going to a balanced TRS input'. Users get sound, so they figure it's working. Trouble is, the 'ring' signal is being subtracted from the 'tip' signal! Since bass is largely the same on both stereo channels, it is greatly attenuated. And there's usually enough gain to make up the loss, so they just turn it up and lament the 'crappy bass'. You should see their eyes bug wide open when I lower the gain and back one of the plugs out one detent, and the quality goes way up.

Cheers

Last edited:
Glad you got it sorted.

To your distortion problem. When you say it plays back perfect over PA and badly in your software, is it exhibiting the issue when played standalone, or in conjunction with all the other mics?
It was when the mics were all on, I never tried it with that mic on its own. As I said in the second part of my post, the distortion has been eliminated by using the line in on the Creative USB soundcard so the problem was obviously with the PC’s onboard sound; the input on the PC is a combined audio/microphone socket so perhaps that might have been the problem.

What bamboozled me was that the audio feed from the PA obviously consists of all the original channels (mics) mixed into a single track so I couldn’t figure out how one mic was consistently giving the problem. Anyway, although a relative newbie to audio, I have a lot of experience with PCs and one thing I have learned is that sometimes you can’t figure out where a problem was coming from, you just have to be grateful to solve it :D

Thanks again for your help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.