12" PA drivers: Faital 12PR300 vs Eminence 3012_HO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Faital 12PR300 vs Eminence 3012_HO

Can anyone give me some feedback about these drivers? I want to use them from about 100hz-1500Hz in a vented cabinet. I've used the PR300 and I like them. Are the Eminence an upgrade? I see they have slightly larger Xmax and power handling.

The peaky midrange of the Eminence is a concern (Faitals are very flat there)
Can it just be EQ'd flat with good results?

Thanks.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
from the spec sheets the 3012HO is a slight upgrade, it has a larger diameter coil (3" Vs 2.56"), similar xmax (Faital use a different formula to most) and a stronger motor (greater BL^2/Re). Smaller Qes and smaller Vas. Its also displaying greater sensitivity.

The published response for the 3012HO has a peak around 2kHz that is also showing up in the impedance trace which may be problematic. Using them up to 1.5 KHz whether this matters depends what filtering your using and how important the potentially smaller box size and greater output of the 3012HO is to you.

Thanks, I didn't know SB was doing pro stuff. For some reason the second tier "Rosso" 12" drivers look more appealing to me in price, sensitivity and FR. They have no demodulation though.
In general, how much benefit do we gain from demodulation rings?

It's funny that they called it the "Audience Nero." Emperor Nero was apparently terrible musician and singer but regularly subjected Roman nobility to his live act. Supposedly the audience was forbidden to leave while he was performing.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing when I first saw their naming convention. White, Red, Nero...

Demodulation rings help keep the midrange clean when your pounding the speaker at high volume. Not too important if you're only going to drive them a couple millimeters.

A copper sleeve gets you into hi-fi territory(Acoustic Elegance). Helps with both modulation issues related to excursion as well magnetic field issues at higher current levels.

Kappa 12's are ok on a budget for lower output levels.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.