Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

DIY top to match MTH30 sub for small venues!
DIY top to match MTH30 sub for small venues!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2020, 07:24 PM   #1
ALt is offline ALt  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Smile DIY top to match MTH30 sub for small venues!

Hi,

I built an MTH-30 sub for our little ska/ reggae band and we are delighted with how well it works. Loaded with precision devices 12 running off crown amp. Kick sounds great.

I have 2 HK tops (old!) called "HK Compact." Replaced (! piezo) tweeters with APT150 and fitted 12 inch fane 250TC drivers to replace the fitted eminence 12LTA. Sounded much better. Also fitted new crossovers- tried a 2.5 and also 5 KHZ crossover. Not sure if they were a good idea...

Honestly - a stupid question - we like the tops as they are small, and that is very important in the small venues we play but they are a tiny bit harsh, ? at 5 KHz? maybe running the crossover too high, I think we can get a better sound. Not sure if the triple cone speaker should be allowed to run all the way as high as it can go and just have a HP on the tweeter instead?

I'm thinking of either replacing the tweeters/crossover - space is limited in the cab so would like a tweeter that could run a bit lower and also fit the APT150's plastic horn... Or maybe replace the speakers entirely with maybe something like a SLA Pro - some sort of column design or maybe Omintop 8 (with compression drivers not piezos!) - I'm very concerned at having ports on the side of the cab though as seems like a recipe for feedback??We would need a cab to do down to about 120Hz to meet the MTH-30 I think?

Probably stupid questions but if it was you and you had to build as narrow a cab as possible to match an MTH-30 sub to take full band (kick, keys, vox, bass) what would you do? We need horizontal and definitely NOT vertical dispersion where we play - low ceiling pubs in UK! Should I be looking at or 10's , 12's or maybe a column speaker/horn speaker of some sort. Not really up for a commercial powered cab as I like making speakers and after MTH-30 feel we can get good sound from DIY cab. We have another 1400w amp available. Any advice please? Great forum by the way!
Old 14th September 2020, 07:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

...also should say we can reuse the Fane 12s 250TC to make more floor monitors as well, was thinking no tweeter as don't need the dispersion and in front of static players. Just run two monitors at moment but would like to one more at least.(7 people in band)
Old 14th September 2020, 08:40 PM   #3
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Faital 10HX230 would do the job.
What've you got in terms of amplification and processing?

They sound great even when you're dropping a kilowatt in there. Just before lockdown, I was using those (and a couple of 15" subs) for some Disco Divas (capitals because they were in the charts at the time, the real deal) and they were impressed at how much sound came out of those little boxes.

Chris

Last edited by chris661; 14th September 2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 14th September 2020, 11:05 PM   #4
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
Overly Enthusiastic
diyAudio Member

DIY top to match MTH30 sub for small venues! Send a message via MSN to kipman725
The issue with off the shelf crossover is that they are not taking into account your drivers frequency response, sensitivity or impedance so the resulting frequency response will deviate from the intended. If your generally happy with your current speakers why not fit them with an NL4 connector and run them from a 4 channel DSP amplifier, buy a measurement mic and program in the crossover and EQ you want.

For a higher quality screw on driver you could try BMS:
Overview
Old 16th September 2020, 06:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you! Chris we use Crown XLS1502 amp and an old Thomanns 1400w amp. I'm going to get another crown as we're getting on a bit and the Thomanns amp weighs s bloody ton. We use soundcraft ui24 for processing as well as is our mixer. Looking at prices for faital pro and BMS tweeters I wonder if there's a slightly more budget choice, for tweeter that might be an upgrade on APTs. Kipman? I'll play with crossover point using crown as well. Cheers gents,.
Old 3rd October 2020, 01:32 PM   #6
Jason Tale is offline Jason Tale
diyAudio Member

On the cheap I highly recommend the Wharfedale D-533A HF driver. They sound decent, better than JBL's at least, but most importantly legit replacement diaphragms are dirt cheap on eBay, like $25 a pair delivered (to US at least). I've used the hell out of them and only had any die from beer spills.

5kHz is definitely too high for a 12" LF driver, should be more like 2kHz. The APT150's are designed to be used in a 3-way cabinet above a small midrange driver, and they're pretty crappy and underpowered for use below 3.5kHz. D-533A's would serve you much better.

Definitely recommend against monitors without treble horns. Seems the 250TC can reach 10kHz or so, but treble from larger cones is so fatiguing on the ears. You can bypass the crossover in your existing speakers to try the 250TC's full range and hear what you'll be subjected to. You're going to regret it and there's no way to add horns later.

On the cheap you can just put a high pass filter on the horn driver, let the drivers overlap. For an 8 ohm driver you just need a 220uF bipolar cap across the speaker terminals for a 2kHz HPF. Get yourself an L-pad control to dial in the tweeter level that fits best, measure the resistance, and buy resistors to install. You should try wiring the tweeter out of phase too, to see if it's a better fit at the overlap.

If the overlap is harsh no matter how you wire it, mount a 3" damper made of felt or carpet etc in the center of the speaker grill to block the treble. That will attenuate everything above the beaming frequency, for a 12" speaker that's 1.3kHz. Looks like the 250TC jumps up 5dB at 1.4kHz anyways, a damper would probably be an improvement even if they're not too harsh at first.

If you've got D-533A's all round then a couple spare diaphragms have you well covered. Let the beer flow!
Old 3rd October 2020, 02:59 PM   #7
djlivex is offline djlivex  United States
diyAudio Member

Has anyone built this and posted a video on this sub cab, I want to hear it first hand. Hopefully not cellphone video. Thanks
  Reply to this post

DIY top to match MTH30 sub for small venues!Hide this!Advertise here!