Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Digital Recreation of a Big PA System
Digital Recreation of a Big PA System
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2020, 07:33 PM   #91
masterinsanity is offline masterinsanity
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
ground stack

flying pa and yes there is a difference in scale

then there's also
here flying and ground stacks are combined, all are different in what they deliver.
Hey turk 182

One of my references was exactly like the flying PA in a similar looking place, but the others, such as the one at the beach I mentioned was just a big speaker on a big stand, nothing as elaborate as the ones you show
Old 17th September 2020, 07:41 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
something just occurred to me have you looked into "track thickening techniques" but in this case you would be using it on a master to replicate your "PA sound"?

even a basic recording package like Soundforge would allow you to do that.

Well, as I understand it thickening means adding more to the sound then it already has, to go from thin to thick, when what I'm trying to do really is remove what I feel there's too much of...

In a way I'm trying to de-thicken music to it's "bare components", which I can then make louder again giving a much cleaner, lively perception of the music.

Last edited by masterinsanity; 17th September 2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 17th September 2020, 07:43 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamond View Post
It's multiband adjustable, but as I said, I find the Drum Kit preset perfect for toning up the drums on "thin" old vinyl tracks.

In the sample music clip, I heard a marked difference with Mark's compressor settings - less boominess (w/ dual x 6" BR sub cab: -3dB c. 31 Hz, 200W RMS continuous/8 ohms) AND you can hear a pronounced midrange "slap" of the drum head.
Thanks again
Old 17th September 2020, 10:14 PM   #94
megamond is offline megamond  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Muddiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterinsanity View Post
Hey megamond

Yes, I did find that in many cases this muffled aspect was around 200hz, but get into the trouble of removing too much of the musical content in order to fix it. This would be much easier to solve if I had access to the mix with separate tracks. I'm also trying to find which plugin corrects this bloatedness without smearing transients and removing too much or generating this pressure I feel with most eqs...

Still, it's one of the aspects, the other main one being issues below 60hz*.

I'm experimenting now with dereverberation, to try and get more of the direct sound

It's a combination of a lot of things

Thanks for the help!
Hence, room treatment in Studios - I've actually worked in a (Surround Sound) MCR with a lot of treatment like an anechoic chamber.

The midbass also allows your ear to locate sound, as opposed to sub 100 Hz - re the "behind" the speaker remark.

*I note that the drums on the Dua Lipa clip are definitely > 50 Hz (with reason, I'm sure) whereas the keyboard hits notes as low as 31 Hz fundamental frequency.

Hopefully, you'll get there with a plugin to your satisfaction.
Old 17th September 2020, 10:58 PM   #95
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
turk 182 Click the image to open in full size.ground stack

Click the image to open in full size.flying pa and yes there is a difference in scale

then there's also
Click the image to open in full size.here flying and ground stacks are combined, all are different in what they deliver.
Good examples, here´s just one more

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yuchjx95vcf41[1].jpg (155.2 KB, 19 views)
Old Yesterday, 01:44 AM   #96
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

it would be awesome to own a suitably equipped DeLorean and go back and catch a Grateful Dead show with the Wall O' Sound just to compare that to what modern PA sounds like...
Old Yesterday, 01:53 AM   #97
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterinsanity View Post
Well, as I understand it thickening means adding more to the sound then it already has, to go from thin to thick, when what I'm trying to do really is remove what I feel there's too much of...

it can be used to remove content.

Quote:
In a way I'm trying to de-thicken music to it's "bare components", which I can then make louder again giving a much cleaner, lively perception of the music.

ok i get you, i get the same way looking at certain paintings...
Old Today, 12:48 PM   #98
megamond is offline megamond  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Suggested Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamond View Post
Hopefully, you'll get there with a plugin to your satisfaction.
A YouTube suggestion, but some may achieve your aim, OP.

Top 5 Must-Have Plugins I use on ALL my mixes - YouTube
  Reply to this post

Digital Recreation of a Big PA SystemHide this!Advertise here!