Understanding transients according to roll off or just in general

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ok so a quick search proved my point: most serious reference ( from university research or AES published) only take into account the 500hz to 8khz ( more or less telephone bandwidth, human speech inteligibility range, iow the medium range). There is no question about audibility of gd in these range or lower, but there is no real results for threshold of low freq afaik.

Other answers about it are either opinion based, non verified talks or suppositions ( which can be great or interesting but are not significant).

And we are interested in low end in this case.

What I found is
Group delay * frequency > 400 is audible.

Just go in a Disco and listen to the Bass-drum (about 60Hz). When you hear first the Kick and then woooom there is too much GD. It should come together.

This is exactly how most PA systems sound. You should be able to hear the drumstick hit the skin and the impact together. I have had someone tell me that on my PA (sealed 18" subs) you can tell if the drum skin is made of plastic or goat skin... :D

Joined 2002
Paid Member
1 to 1.5 cycles is not resulting in your equation.

My method of looking at group delay is that all the delay components need to be kept below the propagation time at any given frequency. A 30Hz wave has a propagation time of 1/30 = 33ms, so to keep "transient" response believable, the lumped GD at 30Hz needs to be 33ms or less, ideally half or less. This may not always be achievable, specially if a high-pass is also used. A few additional milliseconds at the bottom end is usually not an issue as room modes will generally add a lot more to the overall GD.

1 cycle at 30Hz is 33ms. But referring to your equation, 33 x 30 is 990, almost 2.5x.

I'm still interested in the source for the 400 number. It sounds plausible but there has to be some reasonable method to arrive at it. I looked at half cycle as being a tight target (not always achievable) out of instinct, your formula seemed to indicate it was about right. Is it just a rule of thumb then?

Or it could simply be that GD below a certain limit does not matter as wavelength is too long to reliably detect any additional delay. Thanks for the pdf. It is quite useful though I am not convinced of its rigor, however it's definitely a good starting point.

Allen I think the 1978 paper found that GD detection depends on environment as well as frequency, so there are detection threshold differences between semi-anechoic and reverberant spaces.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Every sort of filter adds GD. Starting with the box. Every manipulation of driver phase adds GD. For a recent project I experimented with a Peerless STW-350F in a simulator. Peerless recommend a sealed enclosure with added boost and a highpass. If you follow their recommendations to the letter, you get 23ms at ~24Hz. Without the recommended filters/EQ, the GD drops to 7ms at the same frequency. The EQ triples the GD.

For the Parts Express ported recommendations, we get 36ms at the same frequency, but that's not the peak. After removing the highpass and lowpass it drops to 24ms at 24Hz. Nobody seems to be complaining of "slow bass".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.