Cleaning and lubricating pots and faders on mixers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I have some mid-level DJ-mixers that are 10-20 years old. Some work fine and some have noise faders and pots.

Getting the correct replacement-parts are probably not cost-effective.

I've tried contact-cleaner, but read afterwards that its a really bad idea on pots because it may damage the tracks and also it removes any lubrication.

When the lubrication is removed on (cheap) pots and faders the "feel" becomes very bad. Furthermore I read that the missing lube will accelerate wear and tear of the tracks.

I know that some pots are beyond repair, but I would like to give it a try.

So whats your best ideas without resorting to specialty products that are not commonly available?

I saw one suggestion for:
  1. Disassemble if possible
  2. Cleaning with contact-cleaner
  3. Gently remove cleaner agent
  4. Lube with small amount of petroleum jelly, - also on tracks?
  5. Maybe use a very small amount of PTFE spray lube on the moving parts.

Kind regards TroelsM

Deoxit works well on pots BUT NOT SLIDERS. Fortunately they also make a fader lube. Works better.

On sliders, you can spray lube into them, but where it matters most is often the underside of the slot in the metal housing. I have some spring pusher tools with tiny hooks on the end, but you can also put a small L bend on the end of a stiff wire like a paper clip straightened, and use that to dab some light grease up under there, then slider the haldle up and down a few times to spread.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
As above, Deoxit Fader Lube is the best thing to do, after using Deoxit cleaner.
As for the rotary pots and sliders, the shafts are lubricated with a viscous fluid/jel, the same used for damping tonearm cuing mechanisms and cassette tape door opening mechs.
Any cleaning will lower or remove that fluid, and so fader lube can help some.

If you're looking for a less expensive alternative, check out Servisol Super 10 switch cleaning lubricant.

It's suitable for switches, potentiometers and faders and leaves a residual lubricating film.

Ingredients: Soparaffic Hydrocarbon Solvent Blend; Mineral Oil (Mist); Hydrocarbon Aerosol Propellant

question, if i may, is it worthwhile to look for the presence of low level dc across the control when a pot or fader seems to need frequent cleaning to operate noise free?

a good many older pieces of gear seem to suffer from this and it usually turns out to be leaky interstage coupling caps.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Years back I wanted to test the old "audiophile volume knob" myth. Figuring that the potentiometer and volume knob might be somehow microphonic, I ran 9V thru the pot, then thru a DC blocking cap into a sound card. Any movement of the potentiometer wiper caused by the knob shaking should produce an AC voltage that would show up in the recording.

I bumped, banged, thumped, shook, rattled and even tapped the pot with a hammer. Nothing, nada, zip. No AC signal. Twisting it by hand did result in some noise. As you might guess, I haven't purchased any special audiophile high dollar volume knobs. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.