Can I trust this site

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Source Dual 21 inch Subwoofer speaker RCF 9007-AS outdoor concert sound system on m.alibaba.com

Has anyone ordered speakers from alibaba ?
Here, a 9007AS for only 700$..
It costs around 5000$ in Europe.

If someone has an idea about that, I would be glad to hear

NOT-THE-SAME-SPEAKER by any means.

The $5000 very high quality European one is RCF made and of course RCF brand.
Most probably made in Italy and doubt they can make more than 100 or 200 monthly, simply because of the high price and limited market (limited by price that is)

The $700 one is made in China:
Place of Origin: Guangdong China
by the Company:
Brand Name: LASE
which is only using (I suppose illegally) the:
Model Number: SUB 9007-AS

Even without all this, you should notice in less than a second that such price difference is IMPOSSIBLE if products were even remotely comparable.

To boot, the Chinese Company can make:
Supply Ability: 5000.0 Pair/Pairs per Month
which hints at a plastic case with a few thingies thrown in.

RCF certainly can´t, unless they stop producing the rest of their current models.

$700 don´t even buy two mystery brand 21" woofers in a chipboard cabinet.

In fact, for that outrageous price I wouldn´t expect something too dissimilar to the "Marc Vincent" described in this YT video:

EEVblog #671 - White Van Speaker Scam Teardown - YouTube

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
My neighbor purchased a 12" woofer - from a Florida seller - SUPPOSED to be a direct replacement for the AR LST that I restored for him.
I restored both units, including all eight tweeters, crossovers, etc.

BUT that Florida woofer was crap - way too stiff suspension.
It's sittin in a box in the corner.

I had the original woofer re-coned, new VC, etc, from a reputable guy I know - big difference!

Wow, thanks a lot..
I knew something was wrong with that.

How vicious it is to put same model name (rcf 9007as) on their product..
I hope not too many people will be scammed

That is standard operating procedure for that market. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the real products get bad comments online because people buy the knock-offs and think they got the original.

They are even starting to knock-off other Chinese products. For awhile if you searched Amazon for a "Topping D10" it would show Amazon's choice for that search being an Aimpire D10 made to look exactly like a topping D10 but priced a few cents cheaper so it would sell more and thus show as being more popular.

Last edited:
The Chinese speaker may even be a visibly exact copy, or almost.
So what?

What matters is performance, quality, etc.

You´ll never know until you use and test both,side by side, visuals are not enough.

I am into the Musical Instrument market, and customers have been "burnt" many times, cheap clones can "look" superb, but once an experienced Pro hangs them from his neck and starts playing, differences are *abysmal*.

I (who can´t play anything) can not find any difference, but defer to their experienced opinion.

True. China can make anything but all the suspiciously cheap blatant copies are obviously a money grab.

Compare a quality made Chinese made product in Lavoce to their close Italian inspiration B&C. The price difference between similarly capable drivers exist, but they're only about 25% cheaper.

The alibaba clones of B&C are much cheaper and it's a crapshoot to what you might get. Slapped together similar looking parts with no quality control.

I have purchased a ton of lighting equipment from Aliexpress and ALL of it works quite well. So what does that say about made in China?

Most western companies now do much of their manufacturing in China and there is no stopping them from copying it, they think nothing of intellectual property. This is a long standing issue that goes back decades and covers all sectors not just electronics.. they have been copying Japanese motorcycles from the beginning. Over time the copies have got better and better and now they are even producing some of their own products that are quite good... Pro lighting is a good example of this.
At one time they were making carbon copies of just about all major electronics but those items have been constantly flagged by the real manufacturers so they never got any real traction... although with some items like microphones the market here is now so saturated with fakes that it's a crap shoot buying used, you really have to inspect items to know if you're getting an authentic piece or not. The fakes work but they don't match the performance of better quality mics.
Power amplifiers and speakers is an area where they have tried to muscle into the market but that is harder to do with these bigger ticket items, people in the west are less inclined to shell out relatively big bucks on a chance. China builders don't have any problem making something that looks legit on the outside but usually the internals are nothing like the original and that is what matters most in this case. But they are learning quickly, there are now some amplifiers coming out of china that are rivaling the performance of the very best on the planet in terms of sheer power, but nobody knows if they will be reliable in the long term and it doesn't appear they offer the sophisticated DSP processing found in the top shelf products they would be compared to.
The conclusion is China is quickly gaining the knowledge and capability to make high quality products but the consumer electronics category is still dominated by shade tree operations out to make a quick buck, so buyer beware. There are no(zero) authentic Brand Name products available on Alibaba or AliExpress so don't be fooled into thinking you are getting a massive deal, you're not but you can sometimes get your money's worth.

Last edited:
Definitely an inferior product...yet there is a distributor in Florida. Not too surprising I suppose.

Compare this Lase 21":
https://lase.us/shop?olsPage=products%2Flase-21lw-2400-21-550-mm-low-frequency-8-ohm-woofer-speaker-w-5-voice-coil&page=2

To an RCF:
Product Detail - RCF
The Lase one doesn't have Thiele and Small parameters quoted. If they put it in numbers and you found they didn't measure up you would have a case against them, but seeing they don't quote these specs, they don't sound like they would be worth boasting about.

It depends on who´s selling and shipping.
Sending a single large and heavy speaker through channels available to us, say DHL, FEDEX, UPS, EMS will cost a fortune.

Sending a large container around the World, with, what? 60/100 cabinets inside? can cost, say, U$5000 .
Divide that by he quantity sent.

Personal example:
I make guitar speakers commercially in Argentina.
Sending *one* 12" speaker to neighbouring Brazil through EMS, the cheapest available service, costs around 100U$
Sending a *one cubic meter* pallet with 63 speakers costs U$350
Sending two cubic meters so 126 speakers costs U$500
They can travel by truck Sao Paulo or by ship to its port: Santos, basically same cost.
All they care about is square meters occupied in the truck trailer or cubic feet in the shipping container, which is shared with others (consolidated cargo); if the whole container is mine cost is substantially less.

That´s why Chinese product is so cheap in USA, even if literally coming from around the World, they ship containerloads of stuff, and cost per item is very low.

I bet sending just one RCF large heavy cabinet will make you cry, yet price at a wholesaler won´t be that much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.