Driverack 260 filter issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Driverack 260 seems to completetly mess with the phase if the high pass filter is disabled. What do you expect when you change the characteristic of a high pass filter that is set to "OUT"? I expect no effect on phase and magnitude. Next post is 2 photos, taken with exactly the same setup, input signal YELLOW (10Hz), trigger on input signal, output 3 signal in PURPLE,
First pic is output 3 HPF set to "OUT" and "BS6", 2nd photo exactly same with output 3 HPF set to "OUT" and BS12".

What is your opinion?

fotos....

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_190513.jpg
    IMG_20200709_190513.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20200709_190544.jpg
    IMG_20200709_190544.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 113
Looks like the output phase is inverted in the second picture. Looks like 90 degrees of phase shift even in the first picture. I’m not familiar with the Driverack, I have only dealt with the Behringer products. I’m not sure what BS12 and BS6 mean.
I’m not sure any of this would be audible at 10hz. At such a low frequency there could still be a basic HPF in the circuit that is affecting phase. It is not Normal for PA or band equipment to be wanting 10hz in the mix, quite the opposite actually.

Of course, I am close to the LF rolloff. Of course, there is big phase shift. There is also AD - DA delay, etc.... All true, but my message is, that a filter CHANGES the phase shift significantly, dependent on it's steepness setting, although the filter is set to be out of the loop.
I am not talking if I "want 10Hz in the mix" or not, I am talking phase shift that is affecting the lower audio band, like 8Hz up to ~30Hz, maybe even 40Hz. It may not be an issue in typical applications, but the firmware implementation is not "clean" in the sense of showing a different signal flow chain than actually providing.

P.S.: BS6 and BS12 is Bessel 6dB and Bessel 12dB. BS6 is same as BW6.

All true, but my message is, that a filter CHANGES the phase shift significantly, dependent on it's steepness setting, although the filter is set to be out of the loop.

Let me try to explain my input by different words.
Different filter slopes can demand different buffer size and thus create different delay at all output channels simultaneously. Equal delay to all channels will not sacrifice phase difference between them, just phase difference between input and output.
Let me suppose, that 260 doesn't designed to work in series, thus buffer delay doesn't influence to bands set.

You can check this by measuring phase difference between two output channels with same freqs set and changing slope settings.

To sum up, since no one seems to understand:
There should be no difference between the 2 screenshots I posted, since the difference is ONLY an order setting on a filter that is OUT OF THE LOOP! Or is labeled as "Out". If they renamed "Out" to "10Hz" or whatever it actually is, I d be happy with how it performs. It is just that "OUT" does not explain what I have experienced.

I guess my opinion is i wouldn't expect too much out of the Driverack 260, especially below 20Hz. I'm not so sure how the best of dsp's work down there.

I get the "OUT" logic you're saying, and it makes total sense. Should be the same.
But again, who knows how logic is implemented in that dsp...maybe 'out' is kinda a standby mode or something, and the different bessel orders still have a residual effect.

I guess i just don't think it matters one way or another.
Twist knobs, listen, and measure, works for me
...even though must say, i often put my dsp's on a scope too, when trying to figure out things like you've encountered...and then say, so what..?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.