4-way mid bins?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So we got our subs 20-90hz
And we got our kick bins 90-400hz (could cut down to 200-250 but they are flat to 400hz)

Obviously I'd want to use a horn for my highs somewhere between 1.8k-6k depending on the mid cabinet/driver used...

So what are people using for their mid bins?

Ideally I was thinking about hanging some multi-cell horn paths like some altecs or something..... But this means I would need some kind of mid bin in order to fill that gap between the kicks and the horn.

Anyone ever hear of any designs like this?

Or any suggestions for build types to optimize output of 400hz+ up to say 2khz?

I just use a pair of Faital 10FH520 per side, running 100Hz upwards. They'll get to about 2kHz if you need them to, and are capable of serious output.
For something more compact, 18Sound do some excellent dedicated midrange units.

Chris

PS - Which subs are you using, that will cover 20-90Hz?

Oh I know theres tons of drivers out there I could use.

I'm more looking for cabinet design ideas.

I know how to optimize sub bass and kick bass using strong motor force drivers....

But 400hz to 2k isn't something you need strong motor force for, so I'm at more of a loss of how to optimize a cabinet for these types of drivers.

Ideally I'm looking for something that can keep up with 110db 1w like my subs and kick bins are each.

As for my subs, I actually cut them at 30-90hz truth be told, but since I have 8x double 18's (16x 18" total) it extends down to 24hz before it dips so we do hit 20hz pretty hard, altho not totally flat.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
This box fits your requirements:
Twin8 Midhorn

for a synergy horn that could keep up with your subs look at something like the SH-96HO:
SH96HO | Danley Sound Labs, Inc.
2619651027_f27f0151a7_b.jpg

1.4" fatial pro comp is used
or you could go with 4 more narrow angle synergy horns.

Thats a cool design, however I'm not sure I'm totally game on the twin 8.

The sh-96ho seems like alot of crossing freq seeing how its got alot of low end extention while I already have 400hz n below figured out.

I'm debating replacing my 90-400hz kick bins with some 90 to 700-800hz dual-kick bins.

This would let me use mid-range compression drivers down to say 700hz.

Atm I'm debating a 2x horn design where I use a mid range compression driver from 700-3k and a high range compression driver from 3k up to 20k.

The main reason for this is since I would like to hang them from 10-15 feet in the air and using a 2nd compression driver to cover the mid-range would eliminate the need or requirement for there to be 6" 8" 10" or 12" drivers in the cabinet to play the mid range between the kick bins and the highs.

This would eliminate the need to build 4 different cab types ( 4x subs/kicks/mids/highs vs 3x subs/kicks/mids+highs) while keeping the system 4-way since the mid+high compression drivers would be in the same smaller cabinet.

Last edited:
I already have four double 15 with horns that I could use for my mid range but the main reason for this change is cuz I'd like to be able to hang the horns to get them out of peoples faces when they dance next to the 20f wide, 48inch tall wall of 18's.

Whole goal of this is basically to eliminate the 2x15+horn bins, so replacing them with twin-8 that is the same cut corner type of design isn't really changing much.

You could use a coaxial compression driver down to 300hz on a large horn. B&c and BMS make them.

Yeah.... $500-900 for a coaxial driver when I could make my own coaxial cabinet seems silly. Plus I'm canadian so my dollar is worth 25% less and I pay a extra 18% duty on boarder, may as well add a extra 50% value to that price.

I'm seeing a 10x22 horn path that goes down to 500hz for $25 and a 5x5 horn path thats 3.4" deep for $12. Drivers that would work for $40 mid compression from dayton, $50 high compression from PVR.

All that together is under $150 in parts that would cover the same range and I could put the 5x5 horn+pvr compression driver in the throat of the 10x22 horn path.

Cut em like 700-3k-20k and it would cover my top end.

Attachments

• dual horn.png
    dual horn.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.