Subs for kick drum range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
with respect to post #20 it's not driver to driver distance it's driver to listener distance.

No what I meant was i've seen that some sites and even apps say to measure the distance from the centre of the compression driver to the centre of the low frequency driver and then calculate a millisecond delay so that the soundwaves arrive at the listener's ears at the same time. I think guesing though it's not an exact science because people are different heights i'm 5ft8 but someone 6ft something might hear it differently. Is that Linkwitz-Riley 24db/Octave filter type and slope the best to go for between the mid/highs and subs?

No what I meant was i've seen that some sites and even apps say to measure the distance from the centre of the compression driver to the centre of the low frequency driver and then calculate a millisecond delay so that the soundwaves arrive at the listener's ears at the same time.
on these sites are they being clear as to what axis the difference exists? a compression driver that's on a horn is farther back then say a 15 mounted on the same baffle (Z axis (depth) X would be vertical and Y would be horizontal) to wit it's not a pathlength thing between the drivers round the outside.

what they are doing is eliminating the Z axis difference to correct time of arrival.

Last edited:
Ah ok, i've downloaded Room EQ Wizard and will get a measurement mic when I can afford it, which are good ones for a reasonable price, is the DBX RTA-M any good?

Also the problem i'm gonna have until i've learned about it is to interpret what i'm seeing on screen and how to use that information.

Start a new thread about REW once you get setup, there are lots of users here(me included) that can help get you over the hump and it will be instructive for others too.
The DBX mic would do the trick but technically it would be better to get one that has a calibration file available.. not sure if DBX supplies this or not, REW uses this to correct for any response anomalies in the mic. Over this side of the pond a popular mic and the one I have is the Dayton EMM-6.

Yeah I saw the Dayton but it's expensive, another I saw is an miniDSP UMIK-1 but i'm waiting to hear back from the company to see if they ship to the UK. The only thing I worry a little about is the UK customs tax and vat tax makes many things from outside the UK not worth buying. Our British government love ripping people off for importing foreign goods.

But anyway i'll see what I end up going with, thanks.

I use a Beyer MM1. Works well.

An ECM8000 is cheap and will work for subs-to-mains integration, as well as most EQ tuning.

The only bit where it gets inaccurate is above 10kHz-ish, where unit-to-unit variations get quite large.

That said, I tend to tune UHF level to taste anyway, so not a big deal.

The ECM8000 is about £20.

Chris

Having gone down this route, I really do think it's in your best interest to grab a 2-channel USB audio interface, and a measurement mic.

Using a USB mic limits you in a few ways:
- Can't measure impedance or T/S parameters
- USB cables tend to be short. I can put my measurement mic a couple of hundred metres away from my laptop.

I did find an EU-based website that sells those USB mics, though, so you won't get hit with import duties. If you really want to go that way, that'd be the place to buy from.

Chris

Adding to what Chris said, the best way to measure a system like this is outdoors away from structures and for that you need to be able to setup the mic at quite a distance from the system and ideally quite a distance from the computer, so a mic that can utilize standard XLR cables is the way to go.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
There's no way I can do that I live on a council estate in a 2 bedroom second floor flat.

Similar issues, I've made lots of measurements during set up and by taking individual bits to relatives houses who have gardens or in friends yards. Even lower quality measurements are better than non. Once you get above 500Hz you can do measurements indoors using time gating. I'm building a battery powered amp setup at the moment partly to improve measurement quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.