Couple of questions regarding wiring & bridging vs parallel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I havent bridged my subwoofers before, and looking at new amps has revealed my lack of knowledge to many things

I've been looking for some rather cheap & lightweight amplifiers for bass duty (Not the best combination, I know) to replace my current amps (Pro-line 3000 & Crown XLS 5000) to less weighing ones.
I know I will be getting a bit worse bass than what I have now, but thats a trade-off I am willing to make to reduce my 75kg rack to a 24kg one.
I will be using 1 amplifier to power two Fane Colossus 18XB drivers (8ohm /1000w rms/2000w program/4000w peak) in a reflex cabinet tuned from 40 to 80hz.

So far the T.amp TSA 4000 looks to be the best option (The only options for a new amp really being between T.amp TSA 4000, T.amp TSA 4-1300 & Behringer NX 6000), giving 2x 1000W 8ohm, 2x 1500W 4ohm or 1x 2865W to bridged 8ohm and weighing 12kg.

Wiring: A lot of amplifiers ask for a +1 & +2 connection when bridging. I've only used +1 & -1 cables so far. Do I only need to switch the end of one of my speakon cables (making it a +1 & +2 to a +1 &-1 cable, like in the first picture) for everything to be alright? Or would I have to re-wire the cabinets aswell.

TSA 4000 and bridging; The bridged option says to be 8ohm. My drivers are 8 ohm each, i've placed two speakon sockets on the back of each cabinet to allow for a parallel connection, making them 4ohm each when connected to each other. Will there be problems if I try to connect this 4ohm setup to the 8ohm bridge mode?

Since I want a bit more power than the rated RMS, How would I go about connecting these two cabs to either get a bridged connection or to get the 4ohm per channel to be able to receive 1500w @ 4 ohm per cab?

I am not really sure how to switch between the 8 and 4 ohm options from the amplifier, is it the parallel option?

T.amp TSA 4000
https://www.thomannmusic.com/the_tamp_tsa_4000.htm

Fane Colossus 18XB
Fane Colossus 18XB-8 Ohm – Thomann United States

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Screenshot_2020-05-16 the t amp TSA 4000(1).jpg
    Screenshot_2020-05-16 the t amp TSA 4000(1).jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot_2020-05-16 the t amp TSA 4000(2).png
    Screenshot_2020-05-16 the t amp TSA 4000(2).png
    19.6 KB · Views: 159
Wiring: A lot of amplifiers ask for a +1 & +2 connection when bridging. I've only used +1 & -1 cables so far. Do I only need to switch the end of one of my speakon cables (making it a +1 & +2 to a +1 &-1 cable, like in the first picture) for everything to be alright?
Yes correct, but if you do that you should mark that end with some colored tape of something for easy identification. There are other ways to accomplish the same thing too such as make up a short adapter cable or add a patch panel to the amp rack.

My drivers are 8 ohm each, i've placed two speakon sockets on the back of each cabinet to allow for a parallel connection, making them 4ohm each when connected to each other.
No they aren't 4ohms each when connected together they are 4ohms total.

Since I want a bit more power than the rated RMS, How would I go about connecting these two cabs to either get a bridged connection or to get the 4ohm per channel to be able to receive 1500w @ 4 ohm per cab?
You can't, your only options are 2x 8ohms or 1x 4ohms or 16ohms.

I am not really sure how to switch between the 8 and 4 ohm options from the amplifier
You don't, the load the amp sees is determined by the individual speaker impedances and how they are connected together.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers, clarified some things up for me ! The TSA 4000 is definitely not the choice for me then, since its also quite important to keep my Behringer Ultradrives output slots to a minimum.

Glad to know I wouldnt have to change internal wiring for a bridged connection, but my drivers are definitely not suited for what I was trying to accomplish.

I think my best option would be to just keep using my trusted Crown XLS 5000.

Since it gives 2x 1800W per channel to 4ohm and is a very solid amplifier, its the strongest option compared to t.amps even if im running 2x 18" reflex subs on each channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.