Midtop Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello community,

because i have a lot of time these days, i started to build my new PA.
Because it is fully horn loaded, i need a midtop playing from 200hz, i was looking for plans the last days but i couldnt find anything... Is anyone here knowing some Horntops? Most likely i would use 10" and 1,4", the 18sound 10m600 is looking great for me.

I found DDS Horns, Design Direct Sound, DDS, fiberglass horns, horn lenses, fiberglass lenses, line array, waveguide, waveguides, asymetric, community, tweeter horns, mid-range, speaker lenses, speaker horns but there are few information on the website and i have no idea if they send to Germany. Anyone maybe having experience with them?

Would it be possible for a beginner to calculate such a horn on its own? What program should i use then?

Thanks alot for help

Joined 2007
Paid Member
hi
as Kipman said Hornresp software is a free and very good simulation software.
Did you decide allready on dispersion, compression driver and horn for you box?
dispersion matching at crossover should be considered in the project (excuse me if I state the obvious!).
1,4 inch is good, will allow you to use a low crossover point, good cheap horns are 18sound xt1464 (60x40 dispersion, you can use 1 x side in narrow rooms or 2 x side in wider rooms) and rcf hf950 (90x50 dispersion, better 1 x side).

have a look at mt121 midtop, although loaded with a 12 inch driver should give you some ideas on the horn size required to get real loading to 200 hz. it gets big.
have a look at Peter Morris and Chris Grimshaw vented 2x10+cd speakers, probably more output than you need, much easier to build store move and setup, and both go an octave lower.

I understand the fascination of hornloading - i built and use an almost fully hornloaded soundsystem - but when it's about midtops that you have to raise, i would think about it twice before committing.
consider also hybrid options like seeburg k20, still more rewarding to build than a square reflex but more user friendly.

if it has to be horns and you are entertained by building them check out also Art Welter SynTripp on this forum - spelling is shurely different - to check a Unity pa horn too.

Thanks for your advices. Yes i tried Hornresp but i have no idea how to use it properly... I mean 10'' Horns are simulated very huge with that and i dont know how to change this. Yes i am planning to use a 1,4'' 18sound with a original 18s Horn as compression, i did not decide for a dispersion yet, what do you recommend for outdoor usage or in a big hall? Crossover should then be at about 1,2khz. The Mt121 is my favourite too until now, but i wonder if there are no Horns to buy in this size.. I'm thinking of something like the F1 Evo or sth like that. And yes i do need a Horn, i use SBH and HD15 for bass so i need some good fitting speakers. Due to mass of time i have these days, i woudl try to build my own Horn out of GFK (is it FRP in english?).

The Mt121 is my favourite too until now, but i wonder if there are no Horns to buy in this size..

<snip>

Due to mass of time i have these days, i would try to build my own Horn out of GFK (is it FRP in english?).

The bigger Limmers eg 312 (as linked by Kipman in the 2nd reply) are the closest you'll get to a manufactured horn for low-mids like you want.

GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic) or just fibreglass would be the common ways of saying it in English.

Cheers,
David.

Yes, i know these Limmerhorns but i dont like the speakers they are designed for... my problem in Hornresp are the higher frequencies, i can design a Horn playing great from about 20hz with nice output but i have no idea how to get it playing to 1khz, do you have any advices for me with that?

And did anyone of you maybe heard of the SRAM 2x10'' Horn? I read alot about this but i cant find any plans of these..

SRAM posted a horn proposition a long time ago in the old PA-forum in Germany. I don´t know if the thread still is accesable or exists. As I remember, there was no complete plan, but a sketch, which I am happy to share with you.

Attachments

• sramhorn.jpg
    sramhorn.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 364
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.