Peavey PV8 problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

I bought a Peavey PV8 mixer and it has a weird problem.
It plays a high pitch whine when I'm trying to record anything with the mic.
I've checked if it was a ground issue, but even when connecting to the laptop on battery, still does it.
The behaviour is very weird, it allows me to listen clearly to anything on my computer just like my regular interface, but when I try to use it to record, the whine starts playing.
To me seems like an issue with the "ADC or USB" part of the mixer, as the beeping always starts after the program starts recording, an not by pressing or turning any dial in the mixer. Changing some ASIO4ALL settings also makes the whine intensity change.
Any suggestions on what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Is it a PV8 USB? Just got one of these new at a discount $140 from a music store in east LA via Ebay, and there might be a reason. Peavey dropped support on their website, the manual is not listed for download. Only the base PV8 model.
Are you using the main outputs or the USB output? Try running the main or tape outputs to a 1/8" stereo plug in the line jack of your PC. My PC has its own A/D converter, but some modern ones only have a mike jack, which has too much gain.
It is not clear from the box instructions that device even has a USB output, and the manual is on dvd which I can't read now. Maybe the USB is only an input. Anyway different clock rates can cause high frequency beat notes.
I'm using the main outputs of my PV8 USB to drive a power amp 3 m away via 1/4" phone plug TP cable, and it is dead quiet doing that. I don't have a laptop to do remote recording & thought the price was great for a A/D since many of the ones on the market like cambridge audio are $299.
If your computer echoes the input on the USB output (audacity?) try turning the monitor volume off. Maybe the USB cable is not shielded input to output and the beat frequency is happening that way, cable capacitance.
For more expert opinion, the peavey.com website runs its own forum.

Last edited:
do you have a full loop? as in both send and returns are connected simultaneously to your recording device, try isolating in and outs (yes i know that would require re patching between recording and playback)

and are monitors involved this could be low level feedback!??

i defer to your wisdom and experience Indy!
I've never plugged in the USB2 cable. PV8 USB & PC live in different rooms 10 m apart. Might record on site some day, but don't have a laptop that works. :violin:
I wouldn't change an IC. These were not a big hit, there might be a reason. If you don't want to post on peavey forum, there is a frequent poster on groupdiy.com that was a Peavey sales manager or parts buyer or something.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.