Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

DIY PA Project, Multiple Entry Horns + Subs
DIY PA Project, Multiple Entry Horns + Subs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2020, 07:10 PM   #1
lisette is offline lisette
diyAudio Member

Default DIY PA Project, Multiple Entry Horns + Subs

Hello,
i purchased a bunch of PA drivers in the winter and finally started my build a few days ago.

my goal is to build a PA for small/medium clubs and small/medium open airs.

after some research i settled on the following setup as a first try:

2x 2-way Midtops : Conical Multiple Entry Horns with 2x Eminence KappaPro 10A and 1x BMS 4552 ND

2x Subwoofer: a custom design 4,2m folded horn/reflex hybrid with 1x 18" PD1850/2 driver

i will use a Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro and some cheap thomann t.amps for a first test phase, then hopefully switch to passive crossovers and decent amps later...

here are some pics of the first midtop being built:

Click the image to open in full size.

i've never worked with wood before, so don't be too hard on me please.

the stupid virus will now delay the build a bit, hard to guess when i will be able to finish this project, but ofc i'll update with some more pics and measurements once i get a chance.

please feel free to drop some advice or feedback...

cheers, lisette
Old 24th March 2020, 12:06 AM   #2
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
To an extent its a bit genre dependent but I would go with 4 of the subs. Other than that the plan looks good.

1) Is the multiple entry horn going to have a secondary flare? it reduces the midrange pattern narrowing phenomenon.
2) what are the intended crossover points?
3) I would stick with DSP crossover, limiting will not be very effective or you will have to run drivers far under rating with a passive crossover. Furthermore for the price of all the high power crossover components you will need you can buy a second hand higher end free form DSP like QSC, Symetrix etc.
4) Whats the specifics of the throat transition?
5) whats the intended coverage angle of the multiple entry horn?
Old 24th March 2020, 01:26 PM   #3
lisette is offline lisette
diyAudio Member

thx for the feedback!

i think you are correct that another 2 subs will probably be needed... i am a bit concerned about the weight of the entire system (2tops+4subs+amprack ~ 900kg) but i guess thats my own fault for designing huge enclosures^^ ill decide on the sub count once i can hear and measure the 2 subs...

i think i'm fine without the secondary horn flare, hornresp puts out a nice curve, i really hope the measurements will be close to the prediction...

my hornresp simulation runs with a x-over at 1.4k, i'll have to see if that is realistic... the lower x-over maybe~180, no idea how the subs will sound in this region...

sticking with dsp is definitely an option, i have not really researched high power crossovers yet...

the throat transition is a 3d printed part. it has the same conical flare as the rest of the horn but its shape is a transition from rectangle to 1" round, here's a sketchup screenshot of the part without screwholes

heres a short vid during printing:

https://i.imgur.com/jcSkY8v.mp4

the intended coverage angle is ~ 60° x 40°

cheers
Old 24th March 2020, 05:47 PM   #4
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
The secondary flare is for pattern control, without it the coverage will narrow in the mid-range. See this paper:
http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/...xp%20Horns.pdf

I didn't spot that your subs are huge FLH, whats the expected output? any more info on these?

If your amp rack is heavy that's an area where a lot of weight can be lost using switch mode amps. Keep an eye out on the second hand market a lot of clubs and venues will be going out of business at the moment. From my experience Powersoft or Lab gruppen are good if you can get them.

1.4kHz sounds high, i only managed 1.27kHz with my multiple entry horns (see sig) and this is higher than the SynTripP design that uses 10" drivers (800Hz). If you have to go down to 800 Hz your going to have to use a large format compression driver and 1.4" or 2" throat.
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #5
zerokelvin99 is offline zerokelvin99  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

+1 keep the DSP.

The DCX2496 will take your system a long way until it's a limiting factor. After that, you may get small sonic benefits from moving to a unit such as a db-Mark.

I would say try to not skimp too much on the amps for the mid-hi. Keep it SMPS AB if possible. As mentioned second hand lab gruppen / other big name would be great.

Something like this Behringer thing will do two FLH just fine for bass.

DIY PA Project, Multiple Entry Horns + SubsHide this!Advertise here!