Heil Sound Phamplets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two pamphlets from the 70s Heil Sound. first one:
Wow, the pamphelt brought back high school memories, hanging out at Feedom Electronix!

As I recall, there was always a fiberglass smell there, as the horns (and Heil "Hog Troffs") were made not far from there at Rechhi Engineering in Bloomington.

There was also a giant straight fiberglass bass horn, something like 16 foot long with a 3 or 4 foot diameter mouth. It looked like a straight version of the horn in your glyph, and may actually have been called the "Glyphorn".

Art

"It looked like a straight version of the horn in your glyph, and may actually have been called the "Glyphorn"."

Thanks for the interest. Between my love for Altec and Klipsch loudspeakers, I was looking thru my copy of the Whole Earth Catalog. there was the Glyph loudspeaker for sale.

Back then I wrote to the address, but never heard back. More recently the internet made so much more available. The Glyph, the big one, had something like a 21 inch woofer in a huge fiberglass bass horn. Also the Altec? horn rigged above.

This was an early Meyer Sound loudspeaker. scroll down to the 70's

Sonic Love Story | Meyer Sound

Attachments

• glyph3.JPG
    glyph3.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 53
  • glyph4.JPG
    glyph4.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 58
  • glyph1.jpg
    glyph1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 53
  • glyph5.jpg
    glyph5.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 55
Ahh, the Whole Earth Catalog- That confirms the "Glyphorn" memory your avatar recalled from Freedom Electronix.
The Glyphorn that Freedom Electronix had sitting in display was probably was similar in size to all but the mouth section of the large version. Many of the Heil horns made by Rechhi were for the most part copies pulled from JBL horns, lips added to facilitate box mounting.
Wonder if the Glyphs were also made by Rechhi, or just copied..

Art

Last edited:
This is for inmate turk 182 "where did you find that product literature!? sometimes it's next to impossible to find old pre-net stuff unless someone preserved and uploaded it."

I have two pamphlets from the 70s Heil Sound. first one:

I have the same first pamphlet you posted.

I also have a purple Heil Sound Phase Linear 700 I bought off ebay a little while ago. I do not have the second pamphlet which shows a purple 400.

My neighbor Dean N. (who was the last factory service manager at Phase Linear) and I shared a Phase Linear site many years ago. Dean has an original purple Heil Sound Phase Linear 400.

An archived copy of our Phase Linear web site is available on: WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL PHASE LINEAR (LYNNWOOD) HOME PAGE

NOTE: Some links no longer work.

The link to the purple Heil 400 still does: http://web.archive.org/web/20040225045145/http://hometown.aol.com/phasetek/heil400.jpg

If you decide to ever sell the second pamphlet, please let me know. It would be a cherished addition to my collection.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 50
"If you decide to ever sell the second pamphlet, please let me know. It would be a cherished addition to my collection."

Hello oldphaser, so the "purple" pamphlet is older than the "blue" one.

I would never consider selling it, but will give it to you for your collection! As long as I get to keep the "blue" one.:) send me a PM....chris

"Freedom Electronix"

I lived in Edina, Minnesota in the early 70s, just out of Minneapolis. That name is very familiar! Where did you live back then?...chris
I lived in Bloomington in the early 70s, then various Minneapolis / St.Paul locations until 1996.

If you saw the band Rockinghorse in the early 1970s, you may have seen some of my early sound systems. After working with the bands Rockinghorse and Emerald, worked with Eclipse Concert Systems, then started my own production company, Southern Thunder Sound in 1979.

As you can see in the picture below, that STS 1979 system used plenty of fiberglass! The bass and low mid horns were a collaboration with Dave Nordschow, who had started his Eden Electronics company a few years before.

At least one of the 60 degree "JBL" horns in the picture was a Rechhi/Heil horn sold through Freedom Electronix with the "lips" cut off, and painted grey to match the JBLs.

The '79 system was transitional, by 1981 had gone to a 2-box system with double the driver count per frontal area. Still took a long time after that before I could bring myself to scrap the molds for the fiberglass horns...

Art

Attachments

• STS 1979 System.png
    STS 1979 System.png
    865.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Wow those bins must have needed some muscle to move, plus the horns!

You might remember the Minneapolis based band called Gypsy. I moved gear in and out of small local clubs for them but nothing like that stack! I remember driving a truck like that and I didn't have license.;)

Those were the days, the old fiberglass is still curing today!...chris

Once you hear those big horns your hooked. I have 7 in my small apartment .

Attachments

• P1010703.jpg
    P1010703.jpg
    881.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
You might remember the Minneapolis based band called Gypsy. I moved gear in and out of small local clubs for them but nothing like that stack! I remember driving a truck like that and I didn't have license.;)
Chris,

Used to see James Walsh in clubs and at EMI (Electronic Musical Instrument repair) where I built much of the 1979 system during 1978. With the gear Gypsy had, dating back to the Underbeats, keeping it all in working order made him a fairly frequent visitor there..

Art

Wow again, the memories of the past! Back then I really liked loud music. I remember setting in the back of a studio listening to Gypsy practice. The sounds in a small room were incredible!

I remember seeing Johnny and Edgar Winter playing in a small 100 person club downtown Minneapolis, ears ringing for days after.

But if I quote it correctly I will never forget you - (I have Klipsch type horn speakers in the 4 corners of my living room and all are modified using EV 15L bass drivers)

You stated "those EV 15Ls would fold up like a cheap suit in a horn" close enough! Your use was wide open on stage PA duty, mine is home music reproduction!

Didn't mean to stomp on the OPs thread :razz:...chris

"If you decide to ever sell the second pamphlet, please let me know. It would be a cherished addition to my collection."

Hello oldphaser, so the "purple" pamphlet is older than the "blue" one.

I would never consider selling it, but will give it to you for your collection! As long as I get to keep the "blue" one.:) send me a PM....chris

Chris,

I greatly appreciate your offer.

A PM has been sent.

Ed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.