Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Mega midbass straight horn 139dB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2020, 04:06 PM   #11
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

hey pelanj - re: 1x12 super planar - that will be interesting to me. On the Karlson side of things I'm thinking of a "K12" with internal K-tube - but don't know whether to try a curved reflector and if so, what profile. FWIW, I prefer a K12 with pym1298 (~same as Kappa 12a) to my FH1. The little K sans midhorn of course has a different presentation, but is more dynamic and with better coupling to the room than my Klipschorns. Maybe no mod is needed to K12 but the port would have to be split to accommodate the K-tube. A midhorn and tweeter on top would be another option, but I've several pairs of 12CX.

Maybe Karlson's little X15 would be smoother graph-wise by making it a bit taller. A smoothing stub could be added internally. Acoustic Control's 115BK based on X15 size graphs very nice but will not mount an internal K-tube. An appropriate subwoofer added to a pair of 115BK with K-tube on top would make a nice compact system. (I'm hoping the dual slot tube can work as well or better than the asymmetric pattern K-tube)

How much range do you think your Super-Planar 1x12 might cover ? - I'm always looking for excellent sound in the midbass for percussion, and cello/bass viola. So far the Karlson stuff has been very good for their size.

Last edited by freddi; 7th February 2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 7th February 2020, 04:24 PM   #12
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
how does the maximum continuous SPL of a 2*12" super planer compare to this horn?
Old 7th February 2020, 04:36 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I don't yet belong to Facebook - the question could be addressed there with MMJ at the High Order QuarterWave Society

High Order Quarterwave Society (DIY Paraflex & Super Planar dev community) Public Group | Facebook
Old 7th February 2020, 05:24 PM   #14
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

This is what MMJ said about it (see attachment). Maybe there are some newer measurements, but Facebook is a hell to search for info. I think there was a Hornresp record in the Super Planar thread here.

The second attachment is the plan I will build with Beyma Liberty 8 (internal height 330 mm, 15 mm plywood). I wanted to try the super planar as an alternative to the horns as it should offer similar "dynamic" performance.

I am sorry for hijacking the thread - the Super Planar sounds as a viable alternative to large front horns, so I want to try myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5F59BE9B-D695-421B-98CB-80B335F772E6.jpeg (170.2 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg KickbinFlatMetric2.jpg (54.7 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by pelanj; 7th February 2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 7th February 2020, 05:35 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I made a poor try with 2-3012LF - does the basic input look ok to you ? Its tuned too low. When I was young a 4 inch edge wound voice coil speaker was typically rated 30 watts. I've completely fried a 3 inch diameter coil in less than a minute with sine input and clipped 80 watt rated amp. A 30 watt soldering iron would be one example of 30 watts sine input.

For hi-fi use I'd look at lower q lower mass 12s - but really 0.32 qts and mmd ~66g is pretty
good for such large displacement capability (9.1mm)

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a Klipsch La Scala vs that Super Planar

oops - think that's a Kappa 15C (5 ohm) I used in the La Scala sim-
not radically different than K33E

Last edited by freddi; 7th February 2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 7th February 2020, 05:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

This is the predicted response with a pair of 12MH32s at 63 V, I used the file available in the FB group - High Order Quarterwave Society (DIY Paraflex & Super Planar dev community) Public Group | Facebook

I am not sure if I can share it, but I think MMJ would have no problem with that, maybe if you send him a PM.

kipman725, if you are not further interested in the SP, I promise to keep on topic from now on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP2x12-12MH32-63V.jpg (56.4 KB, 147 views)
Old 7th February 2020, 06:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

its cool, that super planar stuff is hard to navigate on FB I wish they would use a forum. Looks like the exponential horn has is tiddly beat with 139dB max SPL over the band of interest. I have got fusion360 installed now so hopefully I can generate some some CAD files. I think it would be pretty easy to build even with a basic circular saw though; when you have a conical expansion as one of the axis. Lots of projects on the go at the moment, need to get two more subs built for the end of the month.

The one design that could be louder would be a front and back loaded horn design (with the back horn having a 180 degree bend) but that would seem very difficult to build; for one how would you even get the driver in!
Old 7th February 2020, 06:37 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

a lot of times I think for a given bulk, there can be similar predicted outcome. In the example below, getting a good size vent that doesn't compress too much for PWK's "Belle" back chamber might be a problem. Cubo Kick looks good for hit.

Maybe resonator chamber speakers do sound "different"

Old 7th February 2020, 07:54 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I got some interesting results with compound horns - when they had a certain length ratio (1/3 or 1/4? or maybe 1/2...) The outputs mixed really well together. I tried only conical, evem that would be difficult to build and very large. So I went for the SP which is super easy to build. Maybe one day I will investigate these compound horns more. I was after maximum output from a single 12" above 100 Hz.
Old 7th February 2020, 08:03 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

The Belle looks more like a horn with a reflex back chamber to me than a compound horn. I was imagining the rear horn wrapping around the front horn so the mouths where concentric and having them the same length and expansion.

Mega midbass straight horn 139dBHide this!Advertise here!