Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

PA system for Openair Cinema
PA system for Openair Cinema
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2020, 09:24 AM   #21
Phenoholic Anonymus is offline Phenoholic Anonymus
diyAudio Member

Distance screen to last row is 24.5 meter. I use the 2/3 depth rule. So target SPL 85dB at 16 meters distance. 15 Inch coax 99- 97dB/W/m? 1.200 Watts amplifier? I don't mind a wee bit less then the 85dB target. Used to running a Dolby processor at 5 instead of 7.

Last edited by Phenoholic Anonymus; 1st April 2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 1st April 2020, 04:00 PM   #22
jaddie is offline jaddie
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenoholic Anonymus View Post
Distance screen to last row is 24.5 meter. I use the 2/3 depth rule. So target SPL 85dB at 16 meters distance. 15 Inch coax 99- 97dB/W/m? 1.200 Watts amplifier? I don't mind a wee bit less then the 85dB target. Used to running a Dolby processor at 5 instead of 7.
It depends a lot on the specific speaker, but yeah, 1200WPC would give you a couple of dB of head room if the efficiency is accurate. Width of seating area?

Subs? Speaker choices open up when you add a sub or two.
Old 1st April 2020, 07:39 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Seating area like in a drive inn theater, 90 degrees. Probably will use Celestion FTX1530 Coax. Sub probably 18 inch horn, to get the extra 10dB headroom for sub channel.

Now to my question about very big baffles, does anybody know a online calculator or has experience with very, very wide baffles? How about extending the hornmouth with a 10 feet wide baffle?
Old 2nd April 2020, 04:56 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

The coax speakers will need a smaller inductor in line with the bass section. I misused the Edge to optimize 2π placement for the LCR speakers. No baffle step needed.

How about a 2 x 2 foot hornopening with 10 feeft left and right and 8 feet above baffle? Placement close to the ground.
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:36 PM   #25
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Depending on how much LF you want, you might find that several 18"s are required.

Putting it in Danley terms for a moment, the SM80 is recommended to be partnered with 1-4 TH118s, dependent on program material.

The SM80 IIRC uses a 350w RMS B&C 12" coaxial. ie, a high-power 15" coaxial will probably have more output, and therefore need more subwoofers to keep up.

Chris
Old 2nd April 2020, 04:10 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reference. I did several openair screenings with the help of local dj's and his equipment. EV 12 inch 2-ways + smallish EV sub. I agree about more dynamic headroom beeing welcome (isn't it always). Hope to have a bit of a subboost by using the shipping container as a really big baffle.

PA system for Openair CinemaHide this!Advertise here!