First PA rig, advice needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been trying to join the SoundForums site but they say they send me an email to confirm my membership but I never get an email so I'm stuck in limbo there.

Hi paulys55, i just posted a problem with signups there in the Forum Tech Support thread ...maybe that will help.
Lemme know if that doesn't help in a few days, and i'll try to contact somebody there for you.

My current tops are 23kgs and they arent easy, although I've perfected a fairly decent technique of resting it on my shoulder and using my legs to control the lift/drop whilst adjusting the stand. Works well.
I'm also a pretty small and not hugely strong so attempting the same with 30kgs plus on my own would probably put my back out. Some kind of lifting device I think would be a must, even if its just to lift the speakers and allow a controlled lowering onto normal stands. I'll look into this in future but if there isn't anything on the market I cant imagine it being difficult building something to do the job.

What i do is lay the stand down on its side with its base extended the way i want it to end up, stick the speaker on it, then walk stand & speaker upright , hand-over-hand like walking a flagpole up. It's pretty easy with a little practice.

FWIW, if i build another PM90 or 60, i'm going to use 5/8" (15mm) BB for the horn and baffles, and 1/2" (12mm) for the box. I calculate that should come in at about 67lbs.

Have you managed to get signed up at Soundforums?

My build is in the Peter Morris threads 60 Degree DIY Mid Hi | Sound Forums
& maybe this one too..don't remember ...New DIY Mid High (90deg) | Sound Forums

Long threads...but check out all Peter's posts, Don Davis's (who drew up plans), and i think Max Warasila also drew up a second set of plans later in the thread(s)

Like said, i'm m wilkinson...my build was early on, and convertible from 90 to 60 degrees.

Have you managed to get signed up at Soundforums?

I am still having issues with joining Soundforums, one of the mods replied to my email and said they were having issues with Hotmail and tried to help me out but when I tried to log in again it said my password was wrong. Unfortunately, to reset your password they have to email it to you and it seems that function isn't working so I'm still trying to figure it out. Hopefully soon, I really want to get working on this project to have it done late spring.

Hi guys, I got a reply on the trouble report I posted there...from David Karol...forum admin.
He said for me to pm him with name and email, and he would approve. No info given as to what problems they are having with signups. You can see those posts there.
Anyway, if u like, pm me name and email, and I will forward on to him..

Amps with DSP will lower the rack size, weight and complexity of cabling and probably simplify limiting (as you won't need to take into account amp gain). The advantage of a dedicated DSP is increased flexibility and power. For example on my DSP (Symetrix Symnet 8x8 DSP + DIGIO) I have over 40 PEQS, delays, 3 way crossover, external controls, live metering, multiple different limiters on outputs and the processing is done using floating point so I only need to worry about levels at input and output. If you get DSP amps to start with though you may find they have enough features or add a DSP later.

I wouldn't recommend the minidsp for pro use as it has a 4V maximum input voltage, some mixers are going to give you a very hot signal, I have had a +20dBu input clipping before.

Good points.

Also, having all your DSP in one rack processor allows you to easily store / recall settings for each room / venue you play, and / or to quickly make changes on the fly. I suppose that these days, maybe you can control the dsp on multiple speakers via an iPad or such, but that seems like quite a hassle to me. (I'm old! lol... )

Another factor is having the freedom to try different amps. For instance, maybe a nice old analog class AB for your horns.

And as DSP technology improves, which it always does, you can easily just upgrade that one processor.

And of course, with amp-loaded DSP, your signal then has to go through yet another A-D conversion. (unless the amps have a digital input.) I suppose that's not a big deal these days, but why do it if you don't have to?

I HATE the idea of amps with onboard DSP, with the exception of hard-limiting. - But even the latter can easily be done with a rack processor, and really should be set for the speakers anyway, not for the amp.

Last edited:
Good points all around on the 'where to put the DSP issue?'

I too have liked the flexibility of a dedicated speaker processor, giving the ability to choose amps, and avoiding multiple AD/DA conversions.

But i really like an amp to provide its own limiting regardless of its gain setting, which seems to require DSP. Talking peak and rms limiting, not just a simple clip limiter.
Setting up a regular processor's predictive limiting is a real PIA imo.
It's also nice to have amp monitoring.

Best solution i've found so far is similar to kipman725's Symetrix Symnet.
It's a QSC Core110f processor, in the Q-Sys ecosystem. The processor itself has 8 mic/line in, 8 mic/line out, with another 8 channels that can go either way. USB too.
You can put it in an amp rack.... or you can put it anywhere....
Ethernet connects it to q-sys amps, or I/O frames that allow connectivity to any type amp, input source, digital stream such as AES or dante...etc etc even video.

I can tune a 4-way speaker out in the yard with REW or Smaart, by just setting a single 4 ch amp next to the speaker, and getting nothing more than AC and ethernet to the amp. Because the amp has line level inputs that serve to get the mic signal back to the Core110f.

The q-sys designer software has great tutorials online, and it's crazy all that you can put in a design. Really, the only limitation is the processors computing power.

The best news of all, is that when a major install is taken down somewhere, the q-sys stuff shows up on ebay at great prices. I recently saw a Core3100 go for $2150...that sounds like alot, but that is the same Core that handles the entire in-house audio for the Orlando Convention Center. That's perhaps a rare example, but used Core110f's typically trade on ebay for $1250-1750. I got 4 channel, 1200Watt per ch, network amps, for $800.

As an design example, attached is what I use for the PM90.
It's running 8 channels of FIR, 4096 taps per channel. Includes a dual channel FFT embedded into the design to check signals.

Can you tell i love q-sys? :D

Attachments

• PM90 q-sys.JPG
    PM90 q-sys.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 172
Thanks mark100 and everyone replying. A mod a soundforums emailed me an got my issue fixed so hopefully I can get back on track with this. I will look over the threads there and keep an eye on this one also. First issue I seem to have is finding the drivers. I've only read the first few pages of the PM90 thread so maybe there are alternate drivers mentioned later in the thread but right now the BMS 4594HE and RCF MB12N351 seem to be unavailable.

All drivers have arrived. Hoping to make sawdust very soon. Any suggestions for crossover/processor? Need 8 channels total, would eventually like to use FIR but am ok with starting out a little more basic. Would one of the DBX driveracks work? My concern is that I kind of need 8 outputs (1 for sub and 3 for tops per side) and most of the DBX stuff I see has only 6.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.