Condensor headset mike RF & hum pickup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to start singing with the piano. The bench is 30' from the PV8 mixer. Will a WBH53h shure headset condensor mike pick up hum & RF noise with a TA4F-XLR-f 4' adapter cable and a 25' XLR f to m cable? The PV8 mixer has phantom power.
My voice is rather soft, so I favor the cardiode pattern to not pick up the piano through the organ speakers. My voice needs reinforcement through the organ speakers The hall is 35'x60'x14'. I won't be moving around so I don't want a radio link system. Also no radio saves $700.
I realize Billy Joel uses an SM58 on a boom, but I bob my head a bit when I'm playing 6 octave material. His voice is probably louder than mine, too.
AKG C555 headset mike is also possible, cardiode condensor mini XLR connector.
Also the main podium sound system started going thwick thwick thwick 2 weeks ago and a backup voice system might be useful if the radio base stations, mixer, or main PA need all new electrolytic capacitors. They are ~10 years old. I reseated the base station-mixer pin headers & the noise stopped, but that is no guarentee of success. November is capacitor failure month.
The organ amps were totally and PV8 P.S. were re-e-capped by me, should be good for 25 more years. The organ speakers are hifi 2 way KLH23's. (The Allen speaker's surrounds discintegrated). I pulled 2 Allen tone generator RCA inputs to the two S100 amps, diverted them to the mixer 2' away, then 2 RCA cables run the mixed mains back to the S100 amp inputs. Voice input should be mixed in at fixed volume. Speakers are about at same distance from the front into the room as the piano, but the piano is way off to the left and the speakers are 12' from the walls and 3' off the ground facing the audience.
When I first installed a 12' RCA cable from RA-88a mixer to ST120 amp, at home nearby, I was picking up AM sports talk radio. I had to up the input cap to ground from 33 pf to 68 pf. The PV8 input capacitors were surface mount and not marked, I don't know what value they were. So there is RF AM bamd noise around here, and the main PA at the church has 2 radio link business band mikes.
Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Will a WBH53h shure headset condensor mike pick up hum & RF noise with a TA4F-XLR-f 4' adapter cable and a 25' XLR f to m cable? The PV8 mixer has phantom power.
So balanced connection all the way through right.. should be fine, and your choice of cardioid condenser will be good if you can find the balance between signal and breath noise.

When I first installed a 12' RCA cable from RA-88a mixer to ST120 amp, at home nearby, I was picking up AM sports talk radio. I had to up the input cap to ground from 33 pf to 68 pf. The PV8 input capacitors were surface mount and not marked, I don't know what value they were. So there is RF AM bamd noise around here, and the main PA at the church has 2 radio link business band mikes.

Don't worry about the modern equipment the old stuff with unbalanced interconnects will be where you pickup RF noise, keep unbalanced connections as short as possible an if necessary put RF shielding around that equipment.

Thanks Conanski.
Tried a 30 ' XLR cable on a KSM27 area coverage cardiode condensor mike I own already. No hum or radio show pickup on that. Going shopping online for a headset mike with anti-pop foam ball.
Wish there was a TA4f adapter to xlr mike feed & mono phone plug 2 wire feed for an earpiece. I'm going to have to set my own balances; be nice to have a mike at the back to feed the monitor output to hear myself in setup. People with headmike & earpiece all seem to have radios clipped to their clothes. $$$
Be nice if there was a gadget in effects loop to auto-seek the feedback howl and damp that frequency, too. Might not be a problem with a headset mike, though. What is the name of those things? I have a 14 band graphic equalizer (needs caps) for manual feedback kill.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.