Connector like XLR with more pins?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm looking for a connector and cable (0.75m) to transfer (ideally) 6 channels of balanced audio from one rack to another. I already have a connection panel with holes for XLR/speakon connectors on one of the racks so I'm looking for something compatible with that.

I'm looking for a connector and cable (0.75m) to transfer (ideally) 6 channels of balanced audio from one rack to another.

I've done that.
Did you know?
There are 5 pin XLR, 4 pin XLR, both of which transfer balanced signals.
Those are quite nice, but can be overkill.

There are also MINI XLR, which are terrific, if you are tight for space, and can make an adaptor cable from Mini-5pin XLR then on to multiple 3 pin XLR at the hot end.

In this case you can get 2 balanced channels per plug x 3 and put it thru a STD multi 8 -16 or 32 channel studio harness to the other end.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I shouldn't have a problem using only a single ground pin per connector as all the signals are coming from the same DSP. So that means on a 7 pin XLR I could carry 3 audio channels, so the whole lot could be done in just two connectors and two cables. At the moment I have two 3pin XLR between the racks so this is an almost the same and would seem the easiest solution.

The DB25 might would be the most elegant and cables are potentially cheap but I don't have tools to work metal well so adapting my patch panels to have a DB25 is a lot of work and will look ugly.

The round very high pin count connectors I have looked out don't seem to have the same mounting hole size as XLR connectors and I have no idea where to get complete cable assemblies. They also seem to be very expensive in some cases.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.