Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Amp recommendation for eighteensound 18LW2400.
Amp recommendation for eighteensound 18LW2400.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2019, 12:55 AM   #1
driftingdubs is offline driftingdubs
diyAudio Member

Default Amp recommendation for eighteensound 18LW2400.

I am looking for some recommendations for an amp to run two 18LW2400 in cubo 18 enclosures. I will be using the speakers mainly for a small underground music venue with the capacity of around 100-150 people or so. Secondary application will be small scale stages at outdoor music festivals catering to about double that crowd. These speakers will be exposed mainly to electronic music, specifically house and techno.

There has got to be a few people in this forum running these speakers, what amps are you using?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated, I am confused as all hell and really just want to get this subs running!
Old 7th November 2019, 08:27 AM   #2
Damo s is offline Damo s  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What is your budget?
Old 7th November 2019, 08:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ideally you want an amp capable of delivering at least 3000rms into 4 ohms bridged which allows the amp headroom whilst getting the most out of the drivers (the rating of your drivers is 1200rms * 2 bridged, 2400rms).
Watch out for the cheaper class D amps which lie about their specs and dial back the power when pushed (all of the manufacturers seem to do this).
If going for budget class D amps the personally I'd aim for something with double the speaker rating (5k rms) so you know its got plenty of head room allowing it to remain punchy but without being ragged. Something like a behringer inuke 6000 would do the job nicely (cheap power).
Old 7th November 2019, 10:04 AM   #4
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

like said above, a good amp that gives at least 1500w per speaker.

If you have a large budget, a FFA 10000 could do the job very good (and it's a very good sounding amp). A Crest Pro 8200 is also very good for this and does sound good (especially on bass).

Many now use Powersoft, because it's very lightweight, small and reliable. But the sound is not that good if you ask me, and it's not cheap. But for rental companies this is the best deal.
Old 7th November 2019, 10:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

That Crest Pro 8200 amp looks like a decent bit of kit. Class H too

I'm driving pairs of 1k subs with Ecler DPA 2000 (2800rms into 4ohms bridged, also class H). The amp weighs a fair bit but does a good job of delivering tight, punchy, warm and deep sounding bass.
Old 7th November 2019, 02:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Budget would be in and around a $1000.

I will check these options out, really appreciate the direction!
Old 7th November 2019, 02:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The 18LW2400's I am running are 8ohm. Which is why I feel like I am having a harder time finding something with enough juice to provide ample headroom.

The FFA 10000 is absolutely beautiful. I wish it was in the budget. I have been browsing the inuke 600 fairly heavily but they just look like a cheap build. Does anyone have any first hand feedback on this unit?
Old 7th November 2019, 03:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you have been looking at stereo into 8 ohm figures then yes Its not easy to find an amp with that much grunt. Just connect them in parallel dropping the impedance to 4ohm and run the amp in bridged mode.

Assuming you are based in the states (with the $ for budget) look at the Peavey IPR 2 7500 has some pretty decent feedback and is about that price. It is a Class D amp but has power by the bucket load and a clean sound (apparently).
Old 7th November 2019, 03:40 PM   #9
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingdubs View Post
Budget would be in and around a $1000.

I will check these options out, really appreciate the direction!

In your budget i would get 2 crown xli 2500īs (450 a piece on sweetwater) and bridge them to get 1500w per amp and use one amp for each speaker.

Those are solid build and decent sounding amps, that are used a lot for more budget soundsystems here in Europe.
Old 7th November 2019, 03:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Also a good option, and provides you with some redundancy in case one of the amps goes down (you will still have bass from the other)

Amp recommendation for eighteensound 18LW2400.Hide this!Advertise here!