Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Bose 1800 series VI Pro amplifier not turning on & Peavey PVi 3000 no output
Bose 1800 series VI Pro amplifier not turning on & Peavey PVi 3000 no output
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #31
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

speaker relay connections often get high resistance in their old age. Peavey relays are better than average, but worth a check. Check the voltage across with the amp putting power in a 8 ohm resistor or something, ie the volume up. These big amps should drive a 6 ohm tea boiler okay. Use an ANALOG meter, DVM average over 2-4 seconds and smooth out the bumps to nothing. $29 5000ohm/volt meter from hardware store okay for those tests as long as has a 10 v scale.
On the bose check the DC voltage at the input to the protection relay. If over about 200 mv there is a problem in the amp circuit. Must trace DC back to origin. I found in the PV-1.3k the input op amp had a bad solder joint to the minus pin, worked sometimes, sometimes put output at 180 vdc. I think 4 techs had been in there since 1993 and not found that. Had a label on the speaker terminal "DO NOT USE CHANNEL A". Poking bad solder joints with a plastic stick helps. Also a meter probe.

Last edited by indianajo; Yesterday at 08:04 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #32
StewartH83 is offline StewartH83  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to StewartH83
Again, fantastic guidance. I'm sure I can handle doing that in the morning. Your a superb help, can't thank you enough. I'll also look for an anolog meter too. I heard previously they are more precise so I think it will be a great tool for the future. I'll get a scope and a signal generator when I get Christmas out the way.

Bose 1800 series VI Pro amplifier not turning on & Peavey PVi 3000 no outputHide this!Advertise here!