JBL SRX800 series or better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Compared to JBL SRX800 series, what is better or similar? Would pay for a cab with a few more dB headroom and oriented horizontal instead of vertical, and a similar 90 x 50 coverage. What’s out there for $1500~1800 per cabinet? I’ve been considering Yorkville, EV, etc, but I don’t know esoteric brands. Just now heard of Heinz during research.

Looking at passive for now.

Sorry, without looking I mixed up, was thinking "P" series stands for "passive". So, SRX800 series is passive and SRX800P series active (Powered).
If you need only one pair of loudspeakers, active (powered) are the most economical and practical.
Any way to quantify the difference between the JBL PRX815 (powered) and the RCF NC45-A?
Very important is max SPL. RCF NX 45-A has 133 dB peak SPL, which is excellent.
On the other hand, JBL SRX815P is quoted as 137 dB peak SPL - which simply is not possible! With inbox 2000 W amplification, it's sensitivity then must be 104 dB/1W/1m - which is impossible. Passive version SRX815, with the same drivers inside, has max SPL 130 dB peak, which is very good.
So, SPL wise, the RCF has slight advantage over JBL.

Other advantage is a huge 4" high-mid range driver in the RCF NX 45-A, over the 3" driver in JBL SRX815P. NX 45-A has crossover frequency of 650 Hz (covering the most important mid range), vs SRX815P unspecified crossover frequency (1900 Hz in the passive version SRX815).

Last edited:
Sorry, without looking I mixed up, was thinking "P" series stands for "passive". So, SRX800 series is passive and SRX800P series active (Powered).
If you need only one pair of loudspeakers, active (powered) are the most economical and practical.

Very important is max SPL. RCF NX 45-A has 133 dB peak SPL, which is excellent.
On the other hand, JBL SRX815P is quoted as 137 dB peak SPL - which simply is not possible! With inbox 2000 W amplification, it's sensitivity then must be 104 dB/1W/1m - which is impossible. Passive version SRX815, with the same drivers inside, has max SPL 130 dB peak, which is very good.
So, SPL wise, the RCF has slight advantage over JBL.

Other advantage is a huge 4" high-mid range driver in the RCF NX 45-A, over the 3" driver in JBL SRX815P. NX 45-A has crossover frequency of 650 Hz (covering the most important mid range), vs SRX815P unspecified crossover frequency (1900 Hz in the passive version SRX815).

^Thank you for this. I understand these two have similar output, but I see the NX45-A is a two-way cabinet with a 1.4” HF. Which model has a 4” mid? ****edit: I see now the HF is a 4” driver. Wow. Does it play 18kHz? A lot of the 2” start rolling off at 12k. Also, the JBL is probably SPL spec’d offbof the 3200W peak power. Like when snap when the bass player powers on his DI amp while the sound system is peaked.

I don't think that the JBL or the RCF are suitable for horizontal mounting. Martin audio do some and there may be some coaxial designs out there. How important is horizontal mounting?

Brian

Horizontal tweeter orientation would allow stacking of two cabinets with less lobing/comb filtering, but that’s not an option... would be nice if someone made a 2x12 or 2x15 with a 90*x40* horn in the middle. I’ve considered building and bi-amping, using a MiniDSP with our existing amps.

Last edited:
Horizontal tweeter orientation would allow stacking of two cabinets with less lobing/comb filtering, but that’s not an option... would be nice if someone made a 2x12 or 2x15 with a 90*x40* horn in the middle. I’ve considered building and bi-amping, using a MiniDSP with our existing amps.
I'm afraid not many of such loudspeakers do exist. For good horizontal dispersion, a 15" woofer must be crossed at a low frequency to the horn. For one woofer this is doable, but a compression driver cannot keep up with two 15" woofers.

If a higher output is required, a solution is to add a midrange driver to make it easier for the compression driver. The woofers can be doubled or horn loaded. An example is the Martin Audio THH (horizontal) or THV (vertical).

Last edited:
I'm afraid not many of such loudspeakers do exist. For good horizontal dispersion, a 15" woofer must be crossed at a low frequency to the horn. For one woofer this is doable, but a compression driver cannot keep up with two 15" woofers.

If a higher output is required, a solution is to add a midrange driver to make it easier for the compression driver. The woofers can be doubled or horn loaded. An example is the Martin Audio THH (horizontal) or THV (vertical).

That THH is fantastic. What’s the price tag? $5k USD?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.