Behringer drive rack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a weird one

Client has 2496 drive rack for years now operating in a Disco club and every September we prepare the club to operate for the winter

we have one preset made for the client and for the past 3 years we change minor things according to the changes we make on this particular preset .

For this year we had a lot to change new woofers, installed the woofers horizontally on the floor , tops were installed in a different way far more better above subs and amplifiers got to be close to the speakers as they used to be 25 m away ...

After all that we expected the bass response to improve dramatically because sub woofer finally was properly installed horizontally floor mounted rather vertical installation twin 18'' and tops twin 15+2'' was relocated exactly above with a bit of tilt for horizontal ( internal) and vertical .

I was expecting the system to need minor adjustments but no matter how hard i tried it was impossible to produce some decent bass even if i had 2.500W of real EV P3000 per sub woofer 2 meters close and with 4mm leads

On the existing preset i ve checked almost everything starting from rooting EQ cross points type of filter phase isues anf time alignment with no results .....

I was trigered by two things i 've seen
One on the first page where the system is presented the curve was showing that my subs are far lower than my tops .... Even tough i triple checked everything on my setting i couldn't find the reason for that .
Two in the past i have used in this preset 5 EQ points but since last year only three are required...I noticed that the 2 eq points that are not clicked to be active still effect the result ..

So i took it as a fact that something is wrong and i choose a new preset from the existing adjust minor parameters like cross points type of filter and so on added 3 points of EQ and system operated like hell within 5 minutes with loads of bass and crystal clear high ....

My idea was that stereo image was by far more oriented and the all system was far more clear than it was before ...

Any body been there ?
Do presets remember old settings ?
Do presets collect garbage with the years passing through ?

Well sounds like you figured it out. Presets are designed to remember things and there are several places where filters can be set so unless you created that preset it's easy enough to miss something, so I always start from scratch and create my own.

With the number of things you changed it is not surprising that the old preset doesn't work anymore, for subs in particular their position in the room is the most significant factor in determining performance and what looks correct to a non technical person could in fact be all wrong. And the subs orientation is of no consequence, the wavelengths of the frequencies involved are so long that the drivers will couple with boundaries regardless.

unit is DCX 2496

Interesting thing that i noticed is that the new preset is identical with the old one while the old one will allow 13% room for more computing while the new one even if identical with the old will allow 28% room for more computing

That is odd .... i think
preset so can get dirty remember or involve old settings that don't appear on screen

I was given an opinion by a fellow of the cloth saying that as you consume computing Power from these machines latency will change resulting worst sound ...

I can verify that since the new preset even if identical with the old one ( includes the exact same things active ) consumes far less computing power and to my my ears sounds 100 times better .

Kind regards

Sakis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.