Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

What are ways I can distribute signal to multiple amps over 50 feet
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2019, 12:18 AM   #11
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

If you’re using Ethernet cable, load it in 82 or 100 ohms, whichever resistor is on hand. Shielded twisted pair is “approximately” 93 ohms. Matching isn’t important if the signal isn’t broad band, but the lower the Z the less induced hum you can have in an unbalanced twisted pair. There will be tens of ohms in the wire. Even 3 of these in parallel will be an easy load for a small amp, about perfect for a headphone amp, but a bit taxing for a cheap mixer (expensive one no problem). You could try increasing the load resistor value to 1k or even a few k, but eventually it will start humming. Of course you could equip the receiving ends with an op amp balanced input circuit, then you can run high impedance (about 10 to 20k) and anything will drive it. Cheaper than a decent transformer actually.
Old 20th September 2019, 01:15 AM   #12
HavanaWoody is offline HavanaWoody  United States
Stiguini Slayer
diyAudio Member

I think I have convinced the purse strings to buy me a scope for the birthday instead of front row seats at Handel's Messiah. I have almost finished cleaning out my Audio closet and got my infinity surrounds today , Ill have to come back to this next week.
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:46 PM   #13
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

If You want to transmit digital SPDIF try a 2.4 or 5 GHz video transmitter & several receivers.
Connect the digital cables to the yellow Video RCA.
I've done it one time but the antennas are picky to align, unless You use some sort of dish.
On a wedding farm I have 200m of mic cable buried feeding 5 boxes with XLR's and they work fine for balanced line signals. If Your gear hasn't balanced outs, there are cheap converters available.
But ... I believe You want to go the digital streaming route where You transmit various signals from various locations and then select at each location which channel You want to hear. There are solutions but $$$$
Old 25th September 2019, 06:15 PM   #14
Stiguini Slayer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAAC0 View Post
If You want to transmit digital SPDIF try a 2.4 or 5 GHz video transmitter & several receivers.
Connect the digital cables to the yellow Video RCA.
I've done it one time but the antennas are picky to align, unless You use some sort of dish.
On a wedding farm I have 200m of mic cable buried feeding 5 boxes with XLR's and they work fine for balanced line signals. If Your gear hasn't balanced outs, there are cheap converters available.
But ... I believe You want to go the digital streaming route where You transmit various signals from various locations and then select at each location which channel You want to hear. There are solutions but $$$$
Hmm I just found a couple of those on the top shelf, Glad I didn't toss them with the onset of video over 480x600 and Svideo I definitely thought about how they might do the job. I also have an Omni DMS-1 that I never installed into my truck, and I think it might be able to use the wifi but I only have the one receiver and the 20 gig vehicle unit .

You are right, I would love the ability to control each of the 18 channels individually , Imagine a set of songbird tracks I might rotate around the property to give illusions of real birds flying about.

$$$$ don't buy the sort of freedom that self innovation can and it just wouldnt be as satisfying. Hell I have been thinking about how I might have SPL meters strategically placed to auto trim the volume of outlying speakers and avoid violating the 65db at the street noise code. But you know how that goes, ill be happy to make it chooch with minimal sophistication.

I almost have enough primary research and inventory done to build out my central connection box and then Ill start experimenting with the methods suggested here. this project is entering its 20th year of development with lots of lulls, so many threads of technology and advances since I first laid out wires and my equipment and understanding has evolved as well. I am really grateful that I found this forum were I can find help from others who are like minded and have diverse backgrounds and experience.

Today's agenda is re foaming the kappa 6 without breaking anything while getting the benzyl off. To use toluene or alcohol to soften the glue or just knife it is the question. possible Cancer, and or melted cones or laceration and ER for stitches wish me luck .
Old 26th September 2019, 06:17 PM   #15
Stiguini Slayer
diyAudio Member

Well now my imagination has just gone silly, as I realized I have the infrastructure to go 2-way from each amp. ,

Got my first 10 inch kappa 6 all cleaned up pretty and laid the new foam on it to find out of 10 speakers I ordered for they were the only ones that were wrong. errrg as Bob Seger would say I had to turn the page, tonight I am going to start a batch of wine in this new fangle tapered fermenter.

What are ways I can distribute signal to multiple amps over 50 feetHide this!Advertise here!