B&C DE250 as part of a 3 way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

If I cross a B&C DE250 at about 2.5khz what sort of power level of midbass will it be able to keep up with? Am I going to be ragging the hell out of it to keep up with say a 600 / 700 watt rms midbass driver (one probably around 100db efficiency, doing ~100hz up to 2.5khz)?

The DE250 has a 108dB rated sensitivity so it would theoretically match a 98dB/600w mid using only 60w. Now of course the horn the driver is mounted on affects things and so does any EQ required but the same applies to the midrange so this may or may not negatively impact the relationship and overall this should work pretty well.

Last edited:
Quote from another thread: Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
" Sensitivity of a compression driver is very misleading. That's because of how they test it (various methods.)

In my NS-15, the only compression driver in B&Cs lineup that could come up to the sensitivity of the woofer (15NBX100) at 10 kHz was a de250. This is always true on a constant directivity device because the radiated power, i.e. sensitivity, is covering a much wider area than a directive horn, i.e. the SPL has to fall at the high frequency end. So, you see, there is sensitivity to burn for a powerful woofer when matched with a true CD device.

If I hadn't been drinking I'd give you all the details. "

So, DE250 seems to be the most sensitive of B&C drivers, at high frequencies.
But, as you read from the quote the horn affects the response of your tweeter change it to some other brand if you can't get enough SPL out at top frequencies with the DE250.

High output PA applications loud treble is the most difficult to achieve, since it is hard to combine multiple drivers without destructive interference due to short wavelengths (read from Patric Batemans threads).
Not the point for your three way design, but thought to bring this up since it is kind of related to the subject :)

Good luck with your project!

Last edited:
I use DE250 with ME20 crossed over at 1.6khz with 12db passive crossover, in a speaker with 2 paudio E10-200s .
I have used this speakers crossed at 70 hz with 48db active crossover on a Tamp TSA 4-1300 and had no issues with the driver. These speakers were used with 2 or 4 subwoofers with B&C 18NW100 and they keept up with no problems.

If you want to use it with larger drivers maybe DE610 is better as it can be crossed over lower.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.