Cobranet thuds?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I am wondering if anyone has any experience of cobranet?

I have a simple(ish) setup:
ASI5408 (PC)-> Switch -> Symnet cobralink -> Symnet -> Symnet 8x8 DSP

Audio transport seems to be working fine but I have been a little scared to test further as when no audio is been sent I get massive violent impulses approximately every minute on the outputs of the 8x8 DSP. I don't have any problems using the analog inputs on this DSP.

One weird thing I have noticed is that the Cobralink is not configurable through Cobranet discovery. I see its IP address and MAC address but no other information can be gathered. I am guessing it does not use the cirrus logic chipset?

Both devices are set to 24bit/48kHz/5.33mS latency I am using the first unicast bundle 256.

any thoughts?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I had a look at this again. This time I created a simple system that looped back the Cobranet from bundle 256 via the 8x8 dsp into bundle 257 and recorded it on the same computer that sent the audio. I also changed the computer with the ASI5408 in it. During 5 mins of recording I noticed no glitches. So hopefully it was just a one off bug related to either the computer or the Symnet composer site file. With +24dBu output capability from the 8x8 DSP it doesn't matter if the amp gains are down a full scale output signal is insanely loud.

One thing I did notice is that the Cobranet goes right up to 0 dB fs on the level meters, the 8x8 DSP uses floating point processing but even so I think the first thing in the final system will be -20dB of gain so that levels match the analogue inputs on the 8x8.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
So routed the Cobranet to the speaker outs and found its not fixed, however this time I was wearing hearing protection so it was less terrifying. I get the thuds more often when there is no audio been transmitted. I now have some new ideas though:

1) the 8x8 DSP has analogue output attenuators so I will engage them and it will hopefully make testing more pleasant.

2) I can now route audio back from the DSP via Cobranet so it will be interesting to see if I can successfully record the analogue input without glitches.

3) I'm using a gigabit switch, it might be worth trying a crossover cable instead, however if this where the problem I would expect that I would have heard errors in the previous Cobranet loopback test.

4) There is a mention in the manuals of a different update procedure for the Cobranet firmware to the Symetrix firmware so I could try that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.