LD Maui 11 or Yamaha Stagepas 1k?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, i would appreciate some help&advice from you guys :D

So, I’m a musician, saxophe player. I do some small gigs on weddings, receptions, background in bars, dinners etc. I am ussually accompanied by keyboards or backing tracks, sometimes some house music to improvise over.

I’m planing to buy a column system and was almost decided to buy LD systems Maui 11 , but i just saw the Yamaha Stagepas 1k thats coming out. What do you guys think, is it worth adding some to the budget and buy yamaha? Yamaha includes a mixer with phantom and FX and bags, both I would have to buy extra with Maui. From what i have heard, Yamaha is also very trusted and reliable brand when it comes to PA.

I don't konw much about PA...so, some questions ;)
What does 119db(Yamaha) vs 124db(LD) mean. I know it's about how loud it is but does that matter for my needs?

Size of woofer-12'(yamaha) vs 3*6,5'(LD): Whats the difference?
Same goes for tweeters: 10*1,5'(Yamaha) vs 6*3'(Yamaha)

power: LD is 500W RMS/ 1000W peak, Yamaha only states 1000W - does that usually mean RMS or peak? if its RMS, why is LD than stated louder(124db) than Yamaha(119db)

Should I maybe consider Maui 28, priced around the same as Yamaha, but has more power, therefore is also heavier/less portable
Thank you in advance for the answers and opinions!

Did you get to see my response to your post over on the ProSoundWeb before it was deleted?

If not here it s again more or less.

I have no experience with either but I think the Yamaha will be the better system.

Both systems offer 1000w peak in amplification but Yamaha is more conservative and uses the standard formula (rms =.707*peak) which means it's system actually produces about 700w rms compared to the 500w for the Maui, and that means the Yamaha could actually get louder overall. The Maui is rated for a higher SPL but this is a little game the manufacturers play, it is possible that number was obtained with the system pushed into heavy distortion. They aren't lying but it means the number isn't worth the paper it's written on. First hand experience with other Yamaha PA speakers and components suggests it is likely this system will sound good at any output level including max output. Yamaha has long been an industry expert with DSP processing and their partnership with Nexo has raised the bar for consumer level PA speakers, there is no indication there is any Nexo processing included in this system but it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect some of it has trickled down to this level. I also like that the Yamaha has a bass module with a PA worthy 12" driver, The Maui's 6.5" drivers compromise performance in favor of portability which is fine if that is a priority but it's a step too far IMO, the Yamaha goes lower on paper and I wouldn't be surprised if it totally outclasses the other one in bass quality too. An actual in-store demo would let you hear the differences in these systems of course.

Last edited:
I've yet to be convinced by any of these little column and their spl claims are just crazy (thx for the article Chris btw). But I've to admit that one thing they do quite well is horizontal dispersion and that might come very handy in the kind of gigs you describe. You'll need a pair of conventional speakers to offer the same kind of coverage one column can offer. If you don't need the kind of bass kick a little sub can offer (I wouldn't expect wonders from either column though), I'd at least try to audition a stagepas 600 against the 1k.

And to sow more doubt... the RCF evox J8 is another very valid option among small columns. In typical RCF fashion though, the input section is very limited and you'll need an external mixer (or the version with an included mixer but it gets expensive).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.