Amp For PA, Mids & Highs? - Above 500 Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for suggestion for something compact, but very good sounding, JUST for frequencies above 500 Hz. (Into a BMS 4594ND)

Either really good class D, or class AB.

----------------------

I only need 150w per side @ 8 ohms, plus a little headroom.

Must be no more than 2u, and lightweight.
Must sound clear but sweet.
I don't need any fancy onboard DSP, just good sound.

It doesn't have to be a current model, in fact I'd love to pick up something a few years old and save a few bucks.

Thx.

Thanks guys!

(Please keep 'em coming.)

That Yammy is a little heavy, but on the plus side, they are plentiful & cheap on the used market, plus the amp draw is very low for an AB amp. (important for a club band / moblie DJ.)

The Matrix is wonderfully small & light, but I read that those little fans are a bit noisy, which is bad for my specific application. I'm looking at the Matrix 2U XT series, though.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The Matrix is wonderfully small & light, but I read that those little fans are a bit noisy, which is bad for my specific application. I'm looking at the Matrix 2U XT series, though.

Because of the size the fans have to be very small. To move enough air, they have to use high rpm. Class D amps got a higher efficiency and therefore produce less heat but for almost all 1 HU amps it's the same problem, the fans will always be noisy. If you can't have (high) fan noise, you have to avoid 1 HU amps altogether.

If you want the amp to be completely silent, look for studio amps. If you are on a tight budget, the Behringer A800 are a good choice.

If you have more to spend, the Crown XLi 800 is a good choice, while not a studio amp, the fans are not loud and it can be modified to be nearly completely silent (reduce voltage of the fans). It's A/B, got enough power 2x200/300W (8/4 Ohm) and sounds excellent. With just 11,4 kg it's not very heavy either.

FWIW, I want GOOD, not cheap!
(My current amsp cost $4300 each when new.)

And yeah, I think I have to rule out 1u amps entirely.
That sucks from a "gear loading" standpoint, but low noise is really important for some of the work I do.

--------------------

What I'd REALLY love is a smallish class D amp, that sounds as good as a good AB amp.
Surely something exists, though the price might be pretty high.
I might get one of the above suggestions as a temporary solution, (money is always tight) but would like some high end options as well.

Last edited:
What I'd REALLY love is a smallish class D amp, that sounds as good as a good AB amp.
I might get one of the above suggestions as a temporary solution, (money is always tight) but would like some high end options as well.

Powersoft T-series are about as HiFi as any amp I've found (including home HiFi amps). Way outside of your power requirements, but headroom is never a bad thing.

There are a few forum threads around about them.

Chris

Thx Chris. I'm reading very good things about that series, and not even horribly expensive.

However I'm now realizing that any 1U amp will probably have noisy fans, and since I do a lot of smallish cafe / restaurant gigs, that's a problem. (It all adds up.)

So I guess I'm looking for a 2U amp, and I'll just have to make room in my truck somehow for the bigger rack that will require.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
FWIW, I want GOOD, not cheap!
(My current amsp cost $4300 each when new.)

Uhm, the price does NOT grant you'll get a good amp!

And yeah, I think I have to rule out 1u amps entirely.
That sucks from a "gear loading" standpoint, but low noise is really important for some of the work I do.

Indeed, if you want a silent amp, ATM there's no real silent 1 HU amp on the market.

How good or bad a class D amp sounds depends on how it handles feedback (pre- or after-LP filter) or how the output filters are layed out.

Yamaha P2500s. It's probably not as light as you would like but you won't beat the sound quality.

I picked one of these up used, to check out.

It's indeed very sweet sounding. (thx) Not as clean as I'd hoped, but nice for the price, indeed. A sound not unlike my (studio) Bryston 4B. almost.) But yeah, a bit heavy. I'm using it now until I find something better.

I think the Lab100 and the MC2 amps will probably work well, but I have to find a way to demo them, which is tough in the USA. Or just buy used and take a chance.

It's amazing just how different various amps sound in just a "PA" application, with excellent speakers, in the top end of a 3-way configuration.
----------------------

Anyway, thanks guys for all the great ideas.

Last edited:
Not as clean as I'd hoped, but nice for the price, indeed.
In what way... background hiss? I also had a Bryston 4B when I got my first Yamaha P series.. a 3500s, and I though it sounded just as good except for maybe the background noise level which isn't a problem for the type of events I do. I agree on how different amps can sound, it's something that isn't really obvious unless you do a direct back to back comparison then subtle differences are exposed.

In what way... background hiss? I also had a Bryston 4B when I got my first Yamaha P series.. a 3500s, and I though it sounded just as good except for maybe the background noise level which isn't a problem for the type of events I do.

Both amps are about the same in warmth & sweetness. However, I think the Bryston has a little more clarity, although it's subtle. Looking at the distortion specs jives with what my ears tell me.

Realize that I'm listening through an extremely high end source, and a BMS 4594ND coaxial on the front end, with an EAW processor running Gunness focussing, so the definition n my system is pretty high. (As PA rigs go.)

I must say, the Yammy amp is astoundingly good for what they sold for. I agree with your recommendation, for anyone on a budget.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.