Quiet PA amps

I haven't tried mine on horns, but it does have these handy little potentiometers to adjust the gain structure. Did you buy four 1002s? Cool! Just be prepared that some or all will make that ticking sound. They also are fairly industrial looking - painted pressed steel with reasonably loose panel fit (big gaps) ... Definitely aimed at their installation market which hides them in a cupboard for a decade. 🙂

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Mine are very quiet and do not have any loose panels gaps.

I have horns but not tried them on it. But so far on an active system with a 100dB/2.83V (4ohm) midrange and 92dB/2.83V (4 ohm) they don’t have any hiss/noise when my ears are right up close.

What I have noticed is that threahold for auto - off can be annoying with such sensitive drivers. Even if I increase the input level and turn down the gain with the built in pots.

@pelanj
Let us know how you go!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have finally tested the XPA1002 with real speakers and a DSP. I can hear some hiss, but I would say it does not come from the amp, and I can say it has less noise than my other amps. To connect the signal is a bit of pain, but I succeeded eventually:) Also, since the HF driver is so efficient, I need to listen a bit louder than normally for it not to shut down due to lack of signal. Maybe it is because I connected the signal symmetrically, but it sounds really good compared to t.amp e4-130. I thought the speakers (SPL Runt MEH clones) are not really well tuned yet, I was a bit disappointed when I fired them up for the first time. With the XPA and same DSP settings, the sound just opened up and now I know the speakers are actually awesome even with these rough settings. There is plenty of power reserve, for the money, used XPA1002 is a steal. I can highly recommend these and I think I will sell some of my PA amps and buy more of these - maybe one or two 4 channel versions if they were for a good price.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if OP still updates the list, but from own experience:

Not quiet:
BSS EPC 760 also not quiet (single blower, the 780 has two), EPC's run hot and fully rely on the airflow and even then it will idle around 50*C. No space to mount a different fan, not suitable for home use. Shame because they are engineering marvels.
LabGruppen iP900 / iP1300

Getting there:
QSC EX4000 / JBL MPA1100 - bearing rumble clearly audible from an industrial fan

Quiet:
MC2 S series can be fitted with quiet fans, mine had dead quiet Arctic fans (AFAIK factory option)
KMT LC1300, big Sunon fan, slight bearing rumble audible but low speed fan.

Also, regarding the P7000S - does it hiss / hum from the speaker?

Last edited:
finally tested the XPA1002
Hi @pelanj , sounds like you've had some good success with these! 🙂 I wonder, do yours have a DC pop on turn on? I tried them with my horns and the pop through the sensitive compression driver was very loud 😬. Could just be my system and my units of course. Guessing though that since these are designed to never be turned off, there is no muting on the outputs.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have them set on highest gain/zero attenuation at the moment, I need to adjust that a bit. My DSP does much more loud and crazy sounds when I accidentally forget to turn off the amps first. One of them also flashes all the lights and produces silent clicks at turn off. The drivers I use now are rated at 107 dB/W.