Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Quiet PA amps
Quiet PA amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2019, 06:44 PM   #11
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Since you are considering buying a new amp anyway why not simply buy a fanless 50+50W or so amp?
Or 100+100W
Since you are using your highly efficient PA speakers it will be eardrum blasting anyway if you wish.

When you do PA work, you load everything in your truck except this little one which stays at home.
Old 5th July 2019, 08:16 PM   #12
kipman725 is online now kipman725  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
I'm already running Apart PA2120s on my tops (2*120W), kind of in the market for something for my subs, perhaps more power for the tops as well. Need to offload a lot of amps I have fixed before I get more though. Hence looking for info on noise levels as I'm just generally in the market if good deals come up. Running different amps doesn't appeal to me because of the additional setup time as my racks are internally wired with external connector panels.
Old 6th July 2019, 02:51 PM   #13
tonyman108 is offline tonyman108  United States
diyAudio Member

Not sure how weight-sensitive you are, but the Crown K2 certainly has oomph, and no fan. I see one on EBay right now described as “new in box” ???

Presumably the typical used example is going to need PM/TLC given how long they’ve been out of production. Given your skill set, is that a deal breaker?
Old 8th July 2019, 02:32 AM   #14
tonyman108 is offline tonyman108  United States
diyAudio Member

Another amp for the “not quiet” column... the QSC RMX. I had an RMX 1450 (original version) running sidefills until a few years ago. Sold it last year. Nice enough amp, but its fan was so loud, even with no load, I didn’t want to hear it during rehearsals. It was loud enough to be obtrusive in some of the smaller venues I was mixing in.

And to you OT comment earlier... thanks for the heads up re: the noisy fan inside the Symetrix DSP. You’re right! I left it (a Radius) running for a few hours earlier today. I just went and checked, and after shutting off the Powersofts, the Symetrix was indeed making almost as much noise as the 1604 amp, but nowhere near as much as the 5204s. I could hear it from 10 feet away.

If the Jupiter tuns out to be that loud, I will consider modifying the cooling as you described. Or locating the rack elsewhere.
Old 9th July 2019, 06:08 PM   #15
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

self powered is the way to go, between the class D amps, neo speakers and cabinet designs they are making 500 watt speakers that weigh under 40 lbs and put out 125-130db which is plenty for everything.
Old 14th July 2019, 07:09 AM   #16
TimLewis is offline TimLewis  England
diyAudio Member

I find my Peavey IPR1600 aren't all that quiet either. They stay quiet for a while but then the fan ramps up even at background levels. Louder levels the music drowns them out quite easily, even if the fan is working hard for lots of sub bass. For films though I'd be better off with my convection cooled Acoustic Solutions SP101 or the SMSL SA 98E amps I have. Just a pain to build speakon to speaker terminal adaptors. I did find the SMSL a little bit lacking in definition in the highs (not as bad a a Lepai) though compared to the Acoustic Solutions amp, though surprisingly more powerful considering it's barely bigger than the big match boxes compared to my Acoustic Solutions that is a big as a Peavey and is heavier despite being only 35 wpc (but still very loud through an Omnitop 12).
The idle power use of a Peavey IPR1600 is about 40 watts so wondering if that's too much heat build up if a fan switch was installed.
Old 15th July 2019, 07:51 PM   #17
ndcraig is offline ndcraig
diyAudio Member

Look for Crown K1 & K2
no fans at all and decent amount of power:
K1 300W/ch 8-ohm
k2 500W/ch 8-ohm
also rated for down to 2-ohm 700W and 1200W
Old 16th July 2019, 07:10 AM   #18
yt7xx is offline yt7xx  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Hi!
I'm using two PV CS800 for years for home listening. I change hi voltage fans to low voltage and made small voltage regulators with NTC resistors on heat sinks. Rotation follows temperature, easy?
Old 16th July 2019, 07:41 PM   #19
tonskulus is offline tonskulus  Finland
diyAudio Member

I bought two QSC 3500 amps, passive cooled. These have some serious grunt and overall sound quality absolutely flawless.
No fan noise but those E-cored transformers (two/amplifier).. they are quite loud which might be annoying.
Old 18th July 2019, 10:44 PM   #20
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Quiet PA amps
I do not have a humongous basis of comparison, but very happy with the IMG Sta-2000D.
IMG STAGELINE: STA-2000D

The IMG Sta-1000D is basicly one half of a 2000D, fans do not turn on unless they are needed, excellent noise floor.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 18th July 2019 at 10:48 PM.

Quiet PA ampsHide this!Advertise here!