Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Custom Mixer
Custom Mixer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2019, 08:07 PM   #1
johannrenck is offline johannrenck
diyAudio Member

Default Custom Mixer

Hi!, I am a musician that is looking for someone to build a custom mixer for my double bass.

I currently use 3 sources to get an amplified sound out of my instrument:
1) Condenser MIC (Shure PGA81)
2) Piezzo Pickups (Fishman BP-100)
3) Magnetic Pickup (Krivo Pickup for Upright Bass)

My project is to build a mixer, with volume and eq for each channel, that can output a balanced line level and a instrument level one. For the conndenser mic must also provide phantom power and the idea is that it should be portable.

Custom Mixer-unnamed-png

Any tips who could build something like this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Johann
Attached Images
File Type: png unnamed.png (142.8 KB, 165 views)
Old 20th June 2019, 11:05 PM   #2
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

You don't need a custom mixer for that. Get an older analog mixing console (since they are way less expensive than digital ones, actually often dirt cheap) with subgroups. Put each of your sources on the same subgroup. With the faders of each channel/input from your instrument you can adjust the level and with the parametric or semi-parametric eq you can adjust each sound. The level of your instrument to the rest is then adjusted by the subgroup fader. You could also add effects or an external eq by the aux send/return, each of the inputs can be muted separately too if you want to switch back and forth.
Old 20th June 2019, 11:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
You don't need a custom mixer for that. Get an older analog mixing console (since they are way less expensive than digital ones, actually often dirt cheap) with subgroups. Put each of your sources on the same subgroup. With the faders of each channel/input from your instrument you can adjust the level and with the parametric or semi-parametric eq you can adjust each sound. The level of your instrument to the rest is then adjusted by the subgroup fader. You could also add effects or an external eq by the aux send/return, each of the inputs can be muted separately too if you want to switch back and forth.
Thanks, what about the impedance mismatch for each of the sources? I am looking for a single unit solution so I don’t have to carry Pre Amps, DI boxes, ...
Old 21st June 2019, 01:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannrenck View Post
Thanks, what about the impedance mismatch for each of the sources? I am looking for a single unit solution so I don’t have to carry Pre Amps, DI boxes, ...
Every mixer got a preamp for every separate channel. You can pre-adjust the level with the gain-knob. And ofcourse then adjust the level with the faders too.
Old 21st June 2019, 03:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Every mixer got a preamp for every separate channel. You can pre-adjust the level with the gain-knob. And ofcourse then adjust the level with the faders too.
Sorry my ignorance in the subject, but would a preamp gain be enough to stop cutting the low freq when the source is a Hi-Z signal but the mixer is made for Low-Z ones?
Old 21st June 2019, 04:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

You're mixing things up. The impedance doesn't have anything to do with a lowcut. Yes, mixers are built to handle both, many have, additional to the gain knob, a separate +20dB switch.

For the low cut: On many mixers you've got a 75Hz filter, which gets rid of many 'pop' sounds while singing and noises from handling instruments.

Well, how many channels do you need besides the 3 of your instrument?
Old 21st June 2019, 10:25 AM   #7
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You're mixing things up. The impedance doesn't have anything to do with a lowcut. Yes, mixers are built to handle both, many have, additional to the gain knob, a separate +20dB switch.

For the low cut: On many mixers you've got a 75Hz filter, which gets rid of many 'pop' sounds while singing and noises from handling instruments.

Well, how many channels do you need besides the 3 of your instrument?
He's talking about using a piezo pickup into a mic preamp. You'll get a low-cut at around 2kHz IIRC.
Piezo pickups need an input impedance of at least 1Mohm to be useful, which usually mandates an external preamp.

Chris
Old 21st June 2019, 11:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
He's talking about using a piezo pickup into a mic preamp. You'll get a low-cut at around 2kHz IIRC.
Piezo pickups need an input impedance of at least 1Mohm to be useful, which usually mandates an external preamp.
Thanks. I've so far only encountered piezo pickups with built-in preamps, which don't behave much different from electret mics. Without one, it would indeed not work well, most mixers got an input impedance between 10-50k. I haven't thought about that. But there's a simple solution, on this page is a piezo preamp circuit that is so small, it could likely be included in the mixer and use the power supply of it. Or, if there's too little room for it, you could simply attach it with a velcro strip to the mixer.
Old 21st June 2019, 01:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks. I've so far only encountered piezo pickups with built-in preamps, which don't behave much different from electret mics. Without one, it would indeed not work well, most mixers got an input impedance between 10-50k. I haven't thought about that. But there's a simple solution, on this page is a piezo preamp circuit that is so small, it could likely be included in the mixer and use the power supply of it. Or, if there's too little room for it, you could simply attach it with a velcro strip to the mixer.
Thanks!
Old 21st June 2019, 09:26 PM   #10
David Morison is offline David Morison  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Just a couple of additions...

1: Some analogue mixers do come with high-Z options on some of their inputs - Soundcraft Signature series being one that springs to mind.

2: You don't even need a mixer with subgroups - anything with at least one Auxiliary mix available (preferably switchable to post fader) will be able to achieve the same effective end result.

Custom MixerHide this!Advertise here!