Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Custom Mixer
Custom Mixer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2019, 08:07 PM   #1
johannrenck is offline johannrenck
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Default Custom Mixer

Hi!, I am a musician that is looking for someone to build a custom mixer for my double bass.

I currently use 3 sources to get an amplified sound out of my instrument:
1) Condenser MIC (Shure PGA81)
2) Piezzo Pickups (Fishman BP-100)
3) Magnetic Pickup (Krivo Pickup for Upright Bass)

My project is to build a mixer, with volume and eq for each channel, that can output a balanced line level and a instrument level one. For the conndenser mic must also provide phantom power and the idea is that it should be portable.

Custom Mixer-unnamed-png

Any tips who could build something like this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Johann
Attached Images
File Type: png unnamed.png (142.8 KB, 165 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 11:05 PM   #2
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
ICG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: I had a Déjà Moo - I've seen that BS before!
You don't need a custom mixer for that. Get an older analog mixing console (since they are way less expensive than digital ones, actually often dirt cheap) with subgroups. Put each of your sources on the same subgroup. With the faders of each channel/input from your instrument you can adjust the level and with the parametric or semi-parametric eq you can adjust each sound. The level of your instrument to the rest is then adjusted by the subgroup fader. You could also add effects or an external eq by the aux send/return, each of the inputs can be muted separately too if you want to switch back and forth.
__________________
I had a Déjà Moo - I've seen that BS before!
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 11:33 PM   #3
johannrenck is offline johannrenck
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
You don't need a custom mixer for that. Get an older analog mixing console (since they are way less expensive than digital ones, actually often dirt cheap) with subgroups. Put each of your sources on the same subgroup. With the faders of each channel/input from your instrument you can adjust the level and with the parametric or semi-parametric eq you can adjust each sound. The level of your instrument to the rest is then adjusted by the subgroup fader. You could also add effects or an external eq by the aux send/return, each of the inputs can be muted separately too if you want to switch back and forth.
Thanks, what about the impedance mismatch for each of the sources? I am looking for a single unit solution so I don’t have to carry Pre Amps, DI boxes, ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 01:36 AM   #4
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
ICG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: I had a Déjà Moo - I've seen that BS before!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannrenck View Post
Thanks, what about the impedance mismatch for each of the sources? I am looking for a single unit solution so I don’t have to carry Pre Amps, DI boxes, ...
Every mixer got a preamp for every separate channel. You can pre-adjust the level with the gain-knob. And ofcourse then adjust the level with the faders too.
__________________
I had a Déjà Moo - I've seen that BS before!
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 03:12 AM   #5
johannrenck is offline johannrenck
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
Every mixer got a preamp for every separate channel. You can pre-adjust the level with the gain-knob. And ofcourse then adjust the level with the faders too.
Sorry my ignorance in the subject, but would a preamp gain be enough to stop cutting the low freq when the source is a Hi-Z signal but the mixer is made for Low-Z ones?
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 04:06 AM   #6
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
ICG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: I had a Déjà Moo - I've seen that BS before!
You're mixing things up. The impedance doesn't have anything to do with a lowcut. Yes, mixers are built to handle both, many have, additional to the gain knob, a separate +20dB switch.

For the low cut: On many mixers you've got a 75Hz filter, which gets rid of many 'pop' sounds while singing and noises from handling instruments.

Well, how many channels do you need besides the 3 of your instrument?
__________________
I had a Déjà Moo - I've seen that BS before!
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 10:25 AM   #7
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
chris661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sheffield
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
You're mixing things up. The impedance doesn't have anything to do with a lowcut. Yes, mixers are built to handle both, many have, additional to the gain knob, a separate +20dB switch.

For the low cut: On many mixers you've got a 75Hz filter, which gets rid of many 'pop' sounds while singing and noises from handling instruments.

Well, how many channels do you need besides the 3 of your instrument?
He's talking about using a piezo pickup into a mic preamp. You'll get a low-cut at around 2kHz IIRC.
Piezo pickups need an input impedance of at least 1Mohm to be useful, which usually mandates an external preamp.

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 11:03 AM   #8
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
ICG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: I had a Déjà Moo - I've seen that BS before!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
He's talking about using a piezo pickup into a mic preamp. You'll get a low-cut at around 2kHz IIRC.
Piezo pickups need an input impedance of at least 1Mohm to be useful, which usually mandates an external preamp.
Thanks. I've so far only encountered piezo pickups with built-in preamps, which don't behave much different from electret mics. Without one, it would indeed not work well, most mixers got an input impedance between 10-50k. I haven't thought about that. But there's a simple solution, on this page is a piezo preamp circuit that is so small, it could likely be included in the mixer and use the power supply of it. Or, if there's too little room for it, you could simply attach it with a velcro strip to the mixer.
__________________
I had a Déjà Moo - I've seen that BS before!
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 01:47 PM   #9
johannrenck is offline johannrenck
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
Thanks. I've so far only encountered piezo pickups with built-in preamps, which don't behave much different from electret mics. Without one, it would indeed not work well, most mixers got an input impedance between 10-50k. I haven't thought about that. But there's a simple solution, on this page is a piezo preamp circuit that is so small, it could likely be included in the mixer and use the power supply of it. Or, if there's too little room for it, you could simply attach it with a velcro strip to the mixer.
Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 09:26 PM   #10
David Morison is offline David Morison  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Just a couple of additions...

1: Some analogue mixers do come with high-Z options on some of their inputs - Soundcraft Signature series being one that springs to mind.

2: You don't even need a mixer with subgroups - anything with at least one Auxiliary mix available (preferably switchable to post fader) will be able to achieve the same effective end result.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Custom MixerHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom monitor mixer Eypo Digital Line Level 10 19th October 2018 10:39 AM
Hardware mixer for Windows Volume Mixer? MWinther PC Based 2 2nd February 2015 12:32 PM
Custom Rotary DJ mixer. tristan.kelly Analog Line Level 10 28th August 2012 10:58 AM
need basic custom headphone mixer/amp advice oshunANDurth Headphone Systems 4 20th April 2011 07:05 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio
Wiki