Mic Mute Pedal - Phantom Power and LED

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I built a Mic Mute pedal for Condenser microphones, and I used this circuit:

1VNwPbY.gif

It works great, there's no pops or clicks when switching.

But as I use it in live sound on a stage I would like to have 2 LEDs, one red to indicate MUTE position and a Green one to indicate ON. I would like to draw power for the LEDs using the phantom power supply so that no battery or external supply is needed.

Whats are your advices on how to add the LEDs supplied by the Phantom Power without introducing Pops/Clicks when switching
the ON and OFF/MUTE?

Thank you so much for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't draw power from the 48V phantom since the 6800K resistors inside the mixer limit the current. 48V/6800= 0,007. Standard Led needs 5-20mA. You could use a custom 4 wire XLR male and use one of the pins and grab the 48V just before the limiting resistors, or drill a hole and mount a DC jack for it, but that would be 2 cables one for audio and one for powering the leds.

Sorry … .007 is indeed 7mA, so a small led would work, but use a 3 pole double throw switch and use one of side for the audio part (A-B) and the other for the leds. You would connect the 48V where You connect the battery on the schematic.
Make sure the two sides of the switch aren't connected in parallel.
Test the led on the mixer XLR first between pins 2-1 or 3-1 with the Mike connected.

Last edited:
Ilcaccillo

6k8 inside the mixer+22K=28.8K 48/28800=0.0016 =1.6mA.
As they are in parallel resistance will be halved and current will double.
So 3.2mA. Could light an led.
Bear in mind that many small mixers don't output 48V but 12 or 15 V or even 24V, so measure voltage first.
By the way how are You going to power the red Led When the switch is open ? I would perhaps use a bicolor led (2 led in one) with one of them always powered.
Say Red off and orange (Red+Green) On

Ilcaccillo
So 3.2mA. Could light an led.
Bear in mind that many small mixers don't output 48V but 12 or 15 V or even 24V, so measure voltage first.

I will use Low current LED's, those get bright with 2mA.
This is going to be used in a professional live sound setup, only used high-end live sound mixers.

By the way how are You going to power the red Led When the switch is open

when switch is open , the Green LED is bright.
With switch closed the lower Vf of Red will steal mot of current away from Green. thanks to PRR for that.

Will try this out,
Thank you so much MAAC0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.