Buy used PA speakers or DIY?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, I recently became a member of the forum, I'm based in Belgium and I'm interested in all kinds of audio stuff and find there is a lot of information on this forum :) The reason I made this post is because I'm looking for 2-way PA speakers and want to either make them myself or buy used speakers. I'm new to this stuff and not in the business but already learned a lot and I have a technical background.

I want to have excellent sound quality as I am kind of a freak on that. The speakers will be used mostly for dj sets. Here's a list of the second hand options I found in my area:

EAW jfx 200 --- €400 a pair
Renkus-Heinz SR-5 --- €750 a pair + flightcase
Renkus-Heinz SR-7 --- €1100 a pair
Meyer Sound UPA 1 A --- €1750 a pair + controller + amp + flightcase for all

Which of these would be the best deal? I think the Meyers are the best speakers but they are quite old and the most expensive (that would be stretching my budget). I can't find a lot about the Renkus-Heinz and EAW speaker but they are supposed to be good brands? Nexo PS8 are also available at okay prices but I think they are not powerful enough? Are there other good options like some JBL's?

The other option is to build speakers myself but I don't know if I can get sound as good as the listed speakers for the same price and I think building a better/as good speaker as the Meyers is nearly impossible? For this I was looking at plans from driver manufacturers like 18sound, celestion, ...

The plan is to build Ricci's skram sub to go with them. So... build or buy? And which ones to build or buy?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Build or buy? Buy if you ever intend to sell later.

I like the Renkus-Heinz SR-7. It is a true point source, a 3 way that looks like a two way, similar to Yorkville Unity U15 or Lambda LAbs TX-3A.
Check if you are offered the fully passive version or the bi-amped version.
Fully passive: Easy setup, cheaper system
Bi-amped: Need DSP, needs two amp channels per speaker. More ways to "mess it up", but the chance to build a very good system is also higher.

I like buying slightly lower quality used speakers at really low prices from people that don't know what they are. Auctions or estate sales are good places for this. I then upgrade components, cabinetry and finishes and usually bi or tri-amp with DSP.

So you get the best of both worlds, a fast and easy starting point that may actually work good enough right away, a low initial parts & materials cost and finally all the time in the world to upgrade and tinker with them. (satisfying the desire to DIY)

It still helps to get decent boxes though, particle board and chinese stamped-frame drivers are usually not worth it, but proper birch plywood enclosures and name-brand cast-frame drivers are out there.

I recently picked up 4 really well-built 12" deltamax clones for basically scrap value from a demolition contractor -less than the cost of buying a couple diaphragms for the DH-1's they contained.

Thanks for your answers. I was leaning towards buying already because building the sub(s) will be quite some work. Yes the three way design of the Renkus Heinz sr7 seems nice but from what I read on the web they are mostly used in theatres and speech applications, do they work well for music too? (I'd guess they do since a good speaker is good for everything?) you would choose the sr7's above the Meyers? (they are newer which is an advantage but with amp + maybe DSP the price will not be that much of a difference I think). I asked the owner about the bi amp/passive crossover, waiting for an answer.
Buying cheaper boxes and put components in them is an option indeed but I don't (yet) feel confident in choosing the right drivers and since good drivers are not cheap I think this will in the end be more expensive and a risk?

Another question: I'm always searching for the more high end manufacturers but how do these 'older' speakers compare to something like a new QSC k12?

QSC K12 is a plastic ABS box and the times I heard it I din't like it.
Cold harsh sound. It got pretty loud with a lot of highs but sounded very thin.

It al depends what you need.

Those older speakers will sound better then the QSC K12. Meyer is very nice.
Be shure those used speakers are in good condition.... PA life is a hard life and if they where used extensively on the road .....

DIY can be very nice and you can build what you exactly need.

We recently made a permanent install and made the Subwoofers (Bass Reflex) a little bit bigger and used 24mm wood. Nothing what you normally would do to be portable. Result was almost flat to 27Hz and effortless sound.

But DIY IS NOT cheaper, this is a common mistake.
Many people also think that DIY is always less quality then buying something.....I think this is BS but you have to know what you are doing and it will not be cheaper. (= don't skimp on quality of components)
If you look what is on the market DIY can really be good....but you don't have any resale value.

If you are interested in speakers etc.... DIY can be a great way to learn stuff
If you need something and don't want to tinker with this, just plug & play then I would say buy something.

While I am not in pro sound, I did buy a beat-up pair of Yorkville U15 at maybe 1/4 of new cost. Partly by luck, the drivers were ok for my use...strictly at home audio. So no problem if crossovers blown (throw out) and half-assed wiring dangling out the rear. :D

I second the opinion that DIY is not always cheaper. Certainly in some cases it can be. Speaking for myself, I have little equipment and even less skills for making things! In your case, you live in Europe which means very high prices (taxes!). Anywhere, surely buying used is good IF you can verify that the goods are working properly and not damaged before you pay.

Okay, I think I have decided on buying used speakers since this will save me a lot of time. Now comes the matter of choosing which speakers to buy. Right now I am a fan of the Meyers because they come with controller and amp which means they are well protected against any abuse but they are the oldest and most expensive so if any of the other options offer the same performance in terms of audio quality I would consider having those. What would you do?

That all depends how good you are at cabinetry. If you can build solid, vibration free cabinets without cutting off a thumb or two, you can get raw drivers for a fraction of the price as you can in a box, and can get the latest and greatest for the price of mediocre out of date used equipment.

But if you've got to hire a carpenter, you're better off buying used.

That all depends how good you are at cabinetry. If you can build solid, vibration free cabinets without cutting off a thumb or two, you can get raw drivers for a fraction of the price as you can in a box, and can get the latest and greatest for the price of mediocre out of date used equipment.

But if you've got to hire a carpenter, you're better off buying used.

indeed. but by the time you add feet, handles, mounts, connector panels, good quality internal wiring, sound insulation, custom grilles, it does start to add up.

The other option is to purchase empty or blown cabs and put new drivers in them. This can work out cheaper than making them, e.g. I've just bought an unloaded pair of Peavey hisys 15 cabs for 40 quid. absolute bargain!

Mark up on all that cabinet hardware and foo foo stuff is far higher than that on drivers. It can easily add up to $200 per cab - the cost of a cheap 2” CD - when in reality it’s probably only $20 worth of material in total. With empty cabs that someone is selling for a song, it’s essentially free. What you can build cheap is an unfinished plywood box, and put n drivers that you can’t blow with your amplifier. A solution for starving college students, but not too useful “professionally”.

In response to original question--

Or do both! I wanted a pair of Unity (Synergy) speakers but the cost... A few years ago I bought a used (trashed) pair of Yorkville U15. These cost about $600 including shipping. Luck was on my side: mechanically the units were ok, drivers turned out to be ok (for home use at least). X-overs blown. No problem, I wanted to actively amp them anyway. Did not care about missing grill hardware. Cats like carpet construction (doubles as scratch barrel).

In conclusion: you can buy used and modify to need/taste as you like.

Er, I see that I've already replied to this thread. Well, maybe this 2nd post is more lucid :)

Last edited:
The other option is to purchase empty or blown cabs and put new drivers in them. This can work out cheaper than making them, e.g. I've just bought an unloaded pair of Peavey hisys 15 cabs for 40 quid. absolute bargain!

what are they made out of ...mdf? and likely hot glued with little to no fasteners don't get me wrong some production stuff is ok but a lot of commercial products suffer in cuts made to ease production costs and their long term durability is suspect, can't count the number of times i've seen budget PA boxes with cracked or broken glue seems or panels for that matter due to rough handling that's why you see them for sale cheap...the previous owners took the good bits and transplanted them to new boxes!

what are they made out of ...mdf? and likely hot glued with little to no fasteners don't get me wrong some production stuff is ok but a lot of commercial products suffer in cuts made to ease production costs and their long term durability is suspect, can't count the number of times i've seen budget PA boxes with cracked or broken glue seems or panels for that matter due to rough handling that's why you see them for sale cheap...the previous owners took the good bits and transplanted them to new boxes!

They are MDF yes, pretty heavy too which actually isnt ideal considering they dont have any drivers in them yet.

At a quick glance over I didnt notice anything structurally wrong, just the covering being a bit knackered in places and the grilles could do with repainting. When it comes to loading them Ill have a better look and fix them up if need be (Ill add some internal bracing, seal the corners, add extra sound deadening anyway).

Hello everyone, I finally decided on what to do and bought a pair of used Nexo PS10. They sound great so I'm really happy with them. From now on I'll be focusing on building a sub (Skram) and figuring out the DSP i will need for crossover and protection. Thanks for your help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.