Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Buy used PA speakers or DIY?
Buy used PA speakers or DIY?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2019, 11:09 AM   #11
Damo s is offline Damo s  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSConrad View Post
That all depends how good you are at cabinetry. If you can build solid, vibration free cabinets without cutting off a thumb or two, you can get raw drivers for a fraction of the price as you can in a box, and can get the latest and greatest for the price of mediocre out of date used equipment.

But if you've got to hire a carpenter, you're better off buying used.
indeed. but by the time you add feet, handles, mounts, connector panels, good quality internal wiring, sound insulation, custom grilles, it does start to add up.

The other option is to purchase empty or blown cabs and put new drivers in them. This can work out cheaper than making them, e.g. I've just bought an unloaded pair of Peavey hisys 15 cabs for 40 quid. absolute bargain!
Old 30th August 2019, 12:24 AM   #12
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Mark up on all that cabinet hardware and foo foo stuff is far higher than that on drivers. It can easily add up to $200 per cab - the cost of a cheap 2” CD - when in reality it’s probably only $20 worth of material in total. With empty cabs that someone is selling for a song, it’s essentially free. What you can build cheap is an unfinished plywood box, and put n drivers that you can’t blow with your amplifier. A solution for starving college students, but not too useful “professionally”.
Old 30th August 2019, 08:02 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Definitely, especially when you are desperate for M3 bolts and the only place selling them are halfords (halfrauds) who rob you 5.50 for just 6
Old 10th September 2019, 08:15 PM   #14
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default In response to original question--

Or do both! I wanted a pair of Unity (Synergy) speakers but the cost... A few years ago I bought a used (trashed) pair of Yorkville U15. These cost about $600 including shipping. Luck was on my side: mechanically the units were ok, drivers turned out to be ok (for home use at least). X-overs blown. No problem, I wanted to actively amp them anyway. Did not care about missing grill hardware. Cats like carpet construction (doubles as scratch barrel).

In conclusion: you can buy used and modify to need/taste as you like.

Er, I see that I've already replied to this thread. Well, maybe this 2nd post is more lucid

Last edited by Soldermizer; 10th September 2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10th September 2019, 08:54 PM   #15
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo s View Post
The other option is to purchase empty or blown cabs and put new drivers in them. This can work out cheaper than making them, e.g. I've just bought an unloaded pair of Peavey hisys 15 cabs for 40 quid. absolute bargain!

what are they made out of ...mdf? and likely hot glued with little to no fasteners don't get me wrong some production stuff is ok but a lot of commercial products suffer in cuts made to ease production costs and their long term durability is suspect, can't count the number of times i've seen budget PA boxes with cracked or broken glue seems or panels for that matter due to rough handling that's why you see them for sale cheap...the previous owners took the good bits and transplanted them to new boxes!
Old 11th September 2019, 12:40 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
what are they made out of ...mdf? and likely hot glued with little to no fasteners don't get me wrong some production stuff is ok but a lot of commercial products suffer in cuts made to ease production costs and their long term durability is suspect, can't count the number of times i've seen budget PA boxes with cracked or broken glue seems or panels for that matter due to rough handling that's why you see them for sale cheap...the previous owners took the good bits and transplanted them to new boxes!
They are MDF yes, pretty heavy too which actually isnt ideal considering they dont have any drivers in them yet.

At a quick glance over I didnt notice anything structurally wrong, just the covering being a bit knackered in places and the grilles could do with repainting. When it comes to loading them Ill have a better look and fix them up if need be (Ill add some internal bracing, seal the corners, add extra sound deadening anyway).
Old 18th September 2019, 01:44 PM   #17
wennaz is offline wennaz  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone, I finally decided on what to do and bought a pair of used Nexo PS10. They sound great so I'm really happy with them. From now on I'll be focusing on building a sub (Skram) and figuring out the DSP i will need for crossover and protection. Thanks for your help!
Old 18th September 2019, 02:07 PM   #18
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Aww....

That is no fun Now that OP has finally arrived at a decision, the rest of us have lost an opportunity to pontificate upon our various audio predilections.
Old 19th September 2019, 07:00 PM   #19
wennaz is offline wennaz  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Haha sorry for that
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:53 PM   #20
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

You can't beat manufacturer's purchase prices because the buy in large quantities, so Your DIY speaker will be more expensive, but You are in control of the size, selection of materials, drivers and the fun building them.

Buy used PA speakers or DIY?Hide this!Advertise here!